Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood start league campaign with Burton win

12 September 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood start league campaign with Burton win

12 September 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town started out their Sky Bet League One campaign with a 2-1 win over Burton Albion at Highbury on Saturday.

Goals either side of half time from Callum Camps and Paddy Madden made it a winning start to the season for Joey Barton's Cod Army.

A header from Burton's John Brayford had brought the score level with twenty-five minute to go but Madden's close-range strike ensured the three points remained at Highbury.

Barton named a full-strength side for the season's opening fixture, with Madden and Ched Evans leading the line whilst new signing Sam Stubbs made his debut partnering James Hill at the back.

The first chance fell to Fleetwood as Camps' cross was met at the back post by Evans, but his header was saved well by Ben Garratt.

Garratt couldn't do anything about the next chance. A corner from Josh Morris was whipped into the six-yard box, the ball rolled back kindly for Camps to fire low and hard past the Burton keeper to give the Cod Army the lead after 17 minutes.

There were penalty appeals from Barton and the backroom staff as Evans appeared to be brought down by John Joe O'Toole, but the referee decided against pointing to the spot.

Burton almost levelled two minutes later. A low ball ran across the box and fell to Stephen Quinn, but his effort came back off the bar.

Fleetwood came close to a second when a free kick from Morris was put into the box and James Hill's header came back off the post and was eventually cleared.

The first half chance of the second half came for Fleetwood. A long throw from Hill was controlled by Evans who gets the shot away, but it was deflected wide for a corner.

The resulting corner from Morris was met by Hill whose header came back off the bar, another header was then cleared off the line.

Hill went close again moments later with a headed effort, steering it just inches wide of the right-hand post.

A great team move from Fleetwood should have brought the second goal. Whelan dragged his shot wide from 10 yards after some great work from Burns and Morris down the right.

Burton levelled soon after as Brayford headed home unmarked at the back post. The linesman's flag went up and after a lengthy discussion between the lineman and the referee the goal was eventually given.

Just over ten minutes from time Fleetwood took the lead again. Substitute Mark Duffy chopped onto his left foot and his shot was deflected away from goal but straight into the path of Madden who poked home from close range.

Madden almost got his second a few minutes later. Evans broke down the right and played it to Duffy whose ball across the box found Madden, but he could only steer it narrowly wide of the bottom right corner.

Burton almost levelled straight after when Lucas Akins' deflected effort clipped the top of the bar. The resulting corner was eventually cleared by Hill.

Town XI: Cairns, Andrew, Whelan, Burns, Evans, Camps, Morris, Coutts (C), Madden, Stubbs, Hill

Subs: Leutwiler, Duffy, Saunders, Boyes, Garner, Holgate

Burton XI: Garratt, Brayford (C), Bostwick, Wallace, Quinn, Powell, Hemmings, Akins, Lawless, O'Toole, Eardley

Subs: Sharman-Lowe, Daniel, Edwards, Fox, Gallagher, Gilligan, Hewlett

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account