Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood secure spot in Carabao Cup third round after Vale win

15 September 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood secure spot in Carabao Cup third round after Vale win

15 September 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town secured their spot in the third round of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night, as they beat Port Vale 2-1 at Highbury Stadium.

The Cod Army took the lead through a first-half deflected Paddy Madden strike, but the visitors pulled the game back level through Danny Whitehead soon after the restart. Ten minutes from the end, Josh Morris struck the ball with venom at Dino Visser’s goal, scoring the winning goal in the process.

Fleetwood had the first chance, and it came after just two minutes as Morris played the ball down the right to Wes Burns, who brought it under control and forced a low-save from Visser.

A few minutes later, Whelan picked up the ball on the edge of the Vale area, lobs it over the Vale defence finding Callum Camps who take a knock, but the referee plays on.

Eight minutes in, Paul Coutts floated a free-kick into the opposition’s box from deep but James Hill – who won the man of the match award in the last game – could only guide his effort into the keeper’s path.

Fleetwood took the lead soon after as Ched Evans stormed down the right-wing, taking on his man in the process, before crossing the ball into Madden, whose deflected shot found the back of the net.

Vale had their first chance of the game in the 20th minute as Whitehead played Alex Hurst through. He then crossed the ball to Theo Robinson, but his shots went narrowly wide.

Just after the half-hour mark, Evans was through, running towards the Valiants box, before striking the ball towards goal, forcing another save out of Visser.

The first chance of the second half fell to the visitors as a low-corner was driven in from the right towards the edge of the box, where Whitehead was waiting, who struck the ball first time into the bottom corner.

Fleetwood were then back on the attack after the referee flagged a Port Vale defender for a handball just outside the box. Morris stepped over the dead ball and struck it just over.

In the 66th minute, substitute Harvey Saunders – who replaced Evans – made a run through the Vale defence, the ball was crossed into him from the right, but his effort hit the crossbar.

Fleetwood retook the lead with ten minutes to go as Saunders nodded a throw-in towards Camps, who played the ball to Morris, whose strike went straight into the bottom corner – making the game 2-1.

The last chance of the game came from a Fleetwood free-kick, 20-yards out, as Dammy Andrew guided the ball towards goal, but was easily saved by the Vale goalkeeper.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Whelan, Burns, Evans (Saunders 55’), Camps (Matete 80’), Morris, Coutts (C) (Duffy 62’), Madden, Stubbs, Hill.

Subs not used: Leutwiler (GK), Boyes, Garner, Holgate.

Vale XI: Visser (GK), Crookes, Mills, Brisley (C), Montano, Trickett-Smith (Joyce 65’), Oyekele (Burgess (74’), Hurst, Whitehead, Robinson, McKirdy (Worrall 72’).

Subs not used: Brown (GK), Smith, Fitzpatrick, Cullen.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account