Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood beaten by two late goals from Peterborough

19 September 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood beaten by two late goals from Peterborough

19 September 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town narrowly lost to Peterborough United as two late goals saw The Posh come away with a 2-1 win at the Weston Homes Stadium.

The Cod Army took the lead through Callum Camps who powered home from inside the penalty area. However, Jack Taylor cancelled that out late on before Sam Szmodics’ 94th minute strike sealed the win for Peterborough.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts when Nathan Thompson won a free-kick just outside the Fleetwood area. The resulting free-kick found the feet of Szmodics but his low, driven shot was well held by Alex Cairns. 

Minutes later, The Posh found themselves with another chance as three Peterborough players stood over a free-kick 20-yards out, Louis Reed stepped up but struck the ball well wide of the near post.

Fleetwood tested Christy Pym for the first time 15 minutes into the game as Mark Duffy found Wes Burns on the right, who beat his man and forced the keeper into a save at the near post.

The Cod Army had had another chance to test Pym when Josh Morris was brought down by Ryan Broom in a dangerous area. Morris whipped the ball into the box himself finding the head of James Hill who headed just wide.

Fleetwood were beginning to find themselves almost 30 minutes in and created yet another chance. A great bit of team play allowed Glenn Whelan the space to find Ched Evans in the area – but his shot was blocked by Thompson.

Five minutes before the break, Alex Cairns was called into action as Szmodics found Clarke-Harris, who forced Cairns to make a smart save down to his left ensuring the scoreline remained goalless at halftime.

Ten minutes into the second half, Fleetwood took the lead courtesy of another goal from Callum Camps. Morris whipped the ball into the box, after winning a corner, with his delivery finding its way to Camps who fired home.

Peterborough came close to levelling the score just past the hour mark when Reed’s corner to the near post was met by the head of Frankie Kent who could only find the side netting.

Down the other end, Callum Camps had the chance to double the scoreline and grab his second of the game. His free-kick was hit well but flew just wide of the post.

The Cod Army had another chance soon after when Evans received the ball out wide with time and space to cross. He lobbed the ball into the area looking for Paddy Madden who headed over the bar.

With less than 10 minutes to go, Reed’s effort from the edge of the area is deflected over the crossbar, almost wrong-footing Cairns.

Not long after Clarke-Harris came close to levelling the score. The ball found its way to the number nine who found himself with very little time – he struck the ball towards the right corner, but Cairns was there to gather.

On the 90-minute mark, Taylor equalized for The Posh firing home into the top corner before Szmodics gave Peterborough the lead with just one minute to play.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Whelan, Burns, Duffy (Madden 60), Evans (Saunders 88), Camps, Morris, Coutts (C) (Matete 73), Stubbs, Hill.

Subs not used: Leutwiler (GK), Boyes, Garner, Holgate.

The Posh XI: Pym (GK), Butler, Thompson (Mason 77), Beevers (C), Kent, Eisa (Dembele 45), Taylor, Clarke-Harris, Broom (Ward 58), Reed, Szmodics.

Subs not used: Gyollai (GK), Burrows, Jones, Hamilton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account