Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood pick up all three points against Oxford at Highbury

31 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood pick up all three points against Oxford at Highbury

31 October 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town made it two wins in a week after beating Oxford United 2-0 on Saturday afternoon at Highbury Stadium.

Callum Camps broke the deadlock in the first minute of the game as he managed to volley the ball from 20-yards into the back of the net, before a second-half goal from substitute Paddy Madden doubled the side’s lead on a drizzly afternoon at Highbury.

The first chance of the game led to the opening goal as Ched Evans chested the ball down to Camps on the edge of the box, who controlled the ball and volleyed the ball into the top corner of the net.

Fleetwood had another chance soon after as Sam Finley dribbled into some space 20-yards out and tried his luck with his left foot, but it went just wide of the target.

Oxford took the ball down the other a few minutes later and won a penalty after Charlie Mulgrew was seen to have brought down Matt Taylor inside the box. The forward then stepped up and saw Jayson Leutwiler dive low to keep the spot-kick out.

Finley was at the centre of another Town attack as he midway through the half as he played a quick pass to Evans, who found Camps, but his strike didn’t trouble the goalkeeper.

Fleetwood had another chance soon after as Barrie McKay stepped over a free kick on the left-wing. He attempted to find someone in the box and the goalkeeper had to come out and punch the ball clear.

Leutwiler was called back into action just before the break as the ball found its way to Olamide Shodipo tried an ambitious volley from 20-yards, which the goalkeeper had to punch clear.

Just after the hour mark, Taylor decided to go by himself on the attack and struck the ball at the Fleetwood goal, and after a deflection, it was easily collected by the goalkeeper.

With 20 minutes to go, Paddy Madden was subbed onto the pitch and it didn’t take long for him to make an impact as Tom Edwards crossed the ball deep into the box, with the ball behind headed on by Evans to the Irish forward who half-volleyed it home.

Andrew almost made it three with the last chance of the game, five minutes before the end, as he picked up the ball on the edge of the box, put it onto his left-foot, and curled an effort towards goal, which went just over the bar.

Town XI: Leutwiler (GK), Edwards, Andrew, Connolly, Whelan (C), Burns, Evans, Camps (Duffy 78’), Mulgrew, McKay (Madden 71’), Finley (Coutts 71’).

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), J.Morris, Saunders, Holgate.

Oxford XI: Eastwood (GK), Clare, Ruffels, Moore, Gorrin, Taylor, Long, Forde (Hall 85’), Henry (C), Shodipo (Cooper 74’), Kelly (Agyei 74’).

Subs not used: Stevens (GK), Sykes, Mousinho, Elechi.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account