Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Evans goal sees Fleetwood beat Shrewsbury at Highbury

27 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Evans goal sees Fleetwood beat Shrewsbury at Highbury

27 October 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town made it two wins from two on Tuesday evening as they managed to beat Shrewsbury Town 1-0 at Highbury Stadium.

The game took a while to get going but it was Fleetwood who managed to find the breakthrough as Ched Evans perfectly passed the ball into the back of the Shrewsbury net midway through the first-half.

Fleetwood took the lead with the first chance of the game, as Danny Andrew ran through the Shrewsbury backline before playing the ball across the edge of the box, past Paddy Madden, all the way to Evans who slotted the ball perfectly into the bottom left corner.

Town carried on pressing after the first chance with Tom Edwards down the right-wing, he whipped the ball in towards the front post where Madden was waiting, and the forward forced Harry Burgoyne into a decent diving save.

Five minutes before the half-time whistle, Andrew won a 50-50 just inside the Shrewsbury half and then played the ball to Madden, he left it to go through to substitute Callum Camps whose strike from 20-yards was blocked by Ethan Ebanks-Landell.

Fleetwood still had the momentum in the early stages of the second half as Andrew won a header, which led to Madden being through on the left. He passed the ball into Camps, who was running into the box from the midfield, but his strike was straight at the goalkeeper.

Burgoyne was called into action again a few minutes later as Wes Burns stormed down the right before trying his luck on goal, with his shot being pushed away and eventually cleared.

Shrewsbury had their first real chance of the game 60 minutes as substitute Leon Clarke chested a cross down to Ollie Norburn, who cut onto his right foot, but his effort was blocked by Charlie Mulgrew and collected by Jayson Leutwiler.

Town could have doubled their lead in the 67th minute as Paul Coutts looped a corner into the box, which was cleared only to Evans on the edge of the box, whose strike had to be cleared off the line by Marlon Fossey.

The last chance of the game fell to the visitors as the ball bobbled around a pack Fleetwood box before Daniel Udoh managed to get his strike off, which hit the outside of the post.

Town XI: Leutwiler (GK), Edwards, Andrew, Connolly, Burns (Morris 82’), Duffy (Whelan 61’), Evans, Mulgrew, Coutts (C), Madden, Matete (Camps 26’).

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), McKay, Saunders, Holgate.

Shrews XI: Burgoyne (GK), C.Williams, Norburn (C), Vela, Daniels, Walker (Pierre 89'), Fossey, Barnett (J.Daniels 66’), Udoh, Ebanks-Landell, Pugh (Clarke 52’).

Subs not used: Gregory (GK), Zamburek, Tracey, High.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account