Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Five-star Fleetwood beat Plymouth Argyle at Highbury

21 November 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town carried on their brilliant recent form as they walked away winners after beating Plymouth Argyle 5-1 at Highbury Stadium on Saturday.

Town started out the game on top with Sam Finley and Callum Camps both getting on the score sheet within the first ten minutes. Wes Burns and Charlie Mulgrew added further goals before Camps finished off his brace.

Town broke the deadlock with the first chance of the game as Finley stole the ball from Panutche Camara in the middle of the park, drove forwards, and hit the ball over Mike Cooper with ease.

Fleetwood doubled their lead in the 7th minute as Paddy Madden nodded the ball through the Plymouth defence towards Camps, who took the ball around the goalkeeper and slotted it into the back of the net.

Town stayed on the attacking front as more quick thinking saw Town go on a counterattack in the 14th minute, playing the ball to Danny Andrew down the wing who picked out Josh Morris who strayed offside.

Morris almost made it three just before the half-hour as he was slipped in behind and tried to chip Cooper, but the goalkeeper was a match for it.

Fleetwood did make it three ten minutes before the break as Burns chased down a loose pass and managed to chip the ball over the rushing goalkeeper, finding the back of the net in the process.

After making a triple-sub at half-time, Plymouth had the first chance of the second half as they whipped the ball into a packed box, but Luke Jephcott rose highest but headed wide of the near post.

Town scored their fourth of the game just before the hour mark as Camps stood over a free-kick, played it in towards the near post where Mulgrew headed past the keeper.

Another chance arose in the 62nd minute as Finley played a perfect through ball to Camps on the left-wing, he cut inside and tried to find the near post but Cooper did well to get a touch and put it out for a corner.

Camps confirmed his brace as he made it 5-0 to the home side as he received the ball on the edge of the Plymouth area, before releasing a powerful volley, which found the back of the net.

The away side scored a consolation goal five minutes before time as the ball was crossed into the box towards substitute Jephcott who nodded home, past Jayson Leutwiler.

Late drama ensued as Niall Canavan, who came off the bench at half-time, was sent off after a late challenge on Ched Evans in the 85th minute.

Town XI: Leutwiler (GK), Edwards, Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns (Duffy 69’), Camps, Morris (McKay 69’), Mulgrew, Rossiter (Whelan 58’), Madden (Evans 58’), Finley (Coutts 69’).

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), Hill.

Plymouth XI: M.Cooper (GK), Watts, Aimson (Wootton 36’), Nouble, Edwards (C), Mayor, Telford (Canavan 45’), Grant (Hardie 45’), Moore, Opoku (Jephcott 45’), Camara (Fornah 11’).

Subs not used: McCormick (GK), G.Cooper.

Advertisement block