Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood dominate play-off second leg but fall short on aggregate

6 July 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood dominate play-off second leg but fall short on aggregate

6 July 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town dominated the second leg of the Sky Bet League One play-off semi-finals against Wycombe Wanderers but, unfortunately, do not progress after losing on aggregate.

The Cod Army played brilliantly in the second leg of the play-off semi-finals at Adams Park, with Danny Andrew opening the scoring in the first half, thanks to a half-volley from range.

Fred Onyedinma levelled the scoring early on in the second half, before Ched Evans converted a penalty. Onyedinma had a late say in the tie as quick feet and a long-range strike levelled the game on the night, but Wycombe progress.

Fleetwood started the game the better team, and in the fifth minute, they had the first chance of the game. Wes Burns did well to get past Joe Jacobson on right-wing before driving a cross towards Callum Connolly, whose shot goes over the bar.

The Cod Army carried on the pressure in the early minutes as Josh Morris forced Wycombe into a foul around 20-yards away from goal. The winger stepped up to the set-piece, but his shot flew over the bar.

Another set-piece almost worked out for Fleetwood as Paul Coutts drives a corner over the crowded box, towards Andrew but his volley doesn’t trouble Ryan Allsop.

Another chance shortly followed for the travelling side as Burns managed to find Connolly inside the Wycombe box, yet again, but his effort is scooped over the bar.

The game started to calm down after an action packed 10 minutes, with Fleetwood dominating possession in all areas of the pitch.

The deadlock was finally broken by the Cod Army in the 22nd minute. Burns looped a cross towards the back post, Barrie McKay managed to get on the end of it and play it into a dangerous area. Even though the defenders managed to clear the ball, it was only to Andrew on the edge of the box who struck the ball perfectly into the bottom corner.

A heart-in-mouth for Fleetwood in the 29th minute as Nnamdi Ofoborh tried his luck from the halfway line, after spotting Alex Cairns off his line, but the keeper does well to push it out for a corner.

The referee had to make a decision just after the half-hour mark as a McKay shot seemed to have been blocked by the arm of Darius Charles inside the box but the official decided not to award the penalty.

Fleetwood carried on the pressure until the half, with the only half chance being Connolly almost getting on the end of a ball from the left but, unfortunately, couldn’t get his head on it.

Wycombe levelled the game just a minute into the second half as Harry Souttar keeps the ball in play after holding off an attacked, but Onyedinma composed himself and struck the ball past Cairns to make it 1-1.

Fleetwood re-took the lead in the 60th minute as McKay was brought down in the penalty area by Jacobson. Evans stepped up to the penalty and placed it perfectly into the bottom right corner, past Allsop.

The Cod Army produced more great play a few minutes later as Andrew won the ball back inside the Wycombe half. McKay played the ball to Evans, who found Connolly on the edge of the box but his shot goes off target.

Wycombe, against the run of play, fling the ball forwards towards substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa but his shot on the turn is easily saved by Cairns.

Soon after, Fleetwood substitute Kyle Dempsey has a left-footed shot blocked from inside the area, after Souttar heads it down. Andrew then had a chance from the edge of the area but couldn’t keep his effort down.

A game-changing save happened late on as Evans jumped above the Wycombe defenders, but his effort was saved by a diving Allsop.

The final chance of the game fell to Wycombe, who have been on the back foot all game. Onyedinma played a one-two in the Fleetwood half and curled the ball into the bottom corner, past Cairns.

Town: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (Dempsey 71’), Souttar, Burns (Southam-Hales 90+2’), Evans, Morris (Saunders 80’), Whelan, Coutts (C), Gibson, McKay.

Unused subs: Gilks (GK), Crellin (GK), Biggins, Sowerby, Hill, Holgate.

Wycombe: Allsop (GK), Jacobson, Gape, Stewart, Wheeler (Pattison 58’), Bloomfield (C) (Thompson 38’), Grimmer, Charles, Onyedinma, Samuel (Akinfenwa 45’), Ofoborh.

Unused subs: Stockdale (GK), Kashket, Freeman, Smyth, Phillips, Parker.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account