Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town held at home by in-form Covent

28 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Town held at home by in-form Covent

28 January 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town and Coventry City played out a goalless draw on Tuesday night in blustery conditions at Highbury Stadium.

Paddy Madden and Ched Evans had good chances for the hosts, with the visitors going close through Fankaty Dabo – who made Town keeper Alex Cairns pull off a great save down to his left hand side.

The game did not take long to get going, and it was Coventry who had the games opening chance.

Liam Kelly sent a good ball through to Matt Gooden who hit the post with his shot, but the flag went up for offside.

Soon after, Town had their first shot at goal. Left back Danny Andrew made the most of a mistake by Dabo, but he could not keep his strike on target as he saw it go just wide of the mark.

Before the first quarter of an hour, Fleetwood had another chance to open the scoring. Madden’s eye lit up as the ball approached him, but the Irishman failed to keep his strike down on the Sky Blues goal.

For a short while following Town’s attack, the match evened itself out with most of the play being in the middle of the park and no clear chances to note.

But as the match approached half time, there were key chances for both sides. First it was the visitors, as Jordan Shipley found himself with space in front of him and took a strike from distance, but the shot was well held by Cairns.

Next came two opportunities fell for Town. Lewie Coyle crossed the ball into the penalty area where Evans was waiting, but the striker’s well placed header stung the hands of Marko Maroši, before the danger was cleared.

Soon after, Madden had an excellent chance to nod his side into the lead before the break. Coyle again was the provider, but his glancing header went wide.

The second half took a while to get going, and the crowd inside Highbury had to wait until the 54th minute until the next chance.

That chance did fall for Jack Sowerby, who received the ball from Madden on the edge of the box, but the midfielder couldn’t keep his shot on target.

Moments later, Coventry really should have been ahead but for a fantastic stop from Cairns. The keeper – who kept his 50th EFL clean sheet on Saturday at Bristol Rovers – denied Biamou as his opportunity surely should have given Mark Robins’ side the lead.

As Town get grinding out chances, one fell to the feet of Evans who after a delicious ball through by Madden, forced a good save out of Maroši, who was put under instant pressure from Madden on the follow up.

A goalmouth scramble inside the Coventry penalty caused carnage, and when the ball fell for Morris on the 18-yard line, he struck the ball well only for a blue shirt to get a block on his effort.

The drama continued into the latter stages, and the referee had a decision to make as a Coventry man went down inside the area. The man in the middle dismissed the penalty claims and the match finished goalless.

That is now two clean sheets on the bounce for Joey Barton’s side, and the Cod Army will now prepare for the visit of Doncaster Rovers to Highbury Stadium on Saturday 1 February.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Coyle, Souttar, Connolly, Andrew, Whelan, Biggins (Morris 12’), Sowerby, Dempsey (Eastham 61’), Madden (McAleny 73’), Evans.

Subs not used: Coutts, Crellin, Saunders, Hill.

Coventry XI:  Marosí, Rose, McFadzean, Hyam, Dabo, Kelly, Walsh, McCallum, Westbrooke (O’Hare 46’), Shipley (Biamou 45’), Godden.

Subs not used: Mason, Allen, Hwula-Mayifuila, Wilson, Pask.

Attendance: 2,506 (519) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account