Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town victorious against promotion hopefuls Peterborough

15 February 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town picked up three vital points on Saturday after beating promotion hopefuls Peterborough United 2-1 at Highbury.

Joey Barton’s team made it four wins in four after an impressive display against Darren Ferguson’s Posh, with Callum Connolly and Wes Burns scoring the goals for Town.

Connolly got his first goal for the Cod Army with a superb strike after 15 minutes, with Dan Butler levelling the score line minutes into the second half. 

The game was up and running from the early exchanges with both teams trying to find their feet in blustery winds, but it was the visitors who had the first real chance from the penalty spot.

After miscommunication in the defence, Cairns was left in no-mans land and brought down Siriki Dembele. The referee Martin Coy pointed to the spot.

Fleetwood’s man between the sticks stood strong and palmed away Mo Eisa’s spot kick, which allowed the hosts to regroup and settle down after a frantic start.

Town were very quick in responding and minutes later put away their first real opportunity. Connolly fired in his first goal for the Cod Army after left-back Danny Andrew picked out the youngster inside the Peterborough penalty area.

Ten minutes later, there was a reply from Peterborough as they pressed for an equaliser. Jack Taylor had a chance from a free-kick, however he could only see his effort go wide.

Just before half-time, there was chances for the hosts to double their lead. Burns got the better of Niall Mason before whipping in a wicked ball across the box, which just missed a group of players in the middle.

Peterborough did have two chances before the interval through Joe Ward and Eisa. First Ward tried his luck from range, but was denied by Cairns, and then Eisa saw his headed effort blocked by Lewis Gibson.

The Cod Army inside Highbury could only ask for more of the same in the second half, and that is what they got. Andrew assured fans it would be as his bullet of a strike beat the keeper, but not the far post as it bounced back out. Another wake-up call for Ferguson.

Ferguson’s side didn’t take long after to make their mark. Against the run of play you’d have to say, Butler’s low driven shot guided into the corner of the net from 25 yards to level proceedings.

Madden had a chance moments later to put his side back in front with a dipping effort, but Christy Pym was on hand to grasp the ball from danger.

As the game entered the last quarter of an hour, the Cod Army found themselves back in front. Burns’ individual effort saw him beat two defenders before he slotted his shot into the bottom corner to see the crowd go wild in the Memorial Stand!

Peterborough’s substitute, Idris Kanu was brought on to make a difference and had half a chance to get his side back into the game, but his tame effort was collected by Cairns.

On top of an excellent team performance, the Town supporters, who gathered at Highbury, helped their side win every ball possible with an orchestra of chanting echoing around the stands.

After ninety plus minutes of wind, rain and pure grit and determination, the referee blew for full-time meaning Town have now won four games of the bounce.

Fleetwood weathered Storm Dennis and Peterborough’s unbeaten run on Saturday, and it’s another top half clash against Portsmouth at Highbury next Saturday.

Fleetwood XI: Cairns (GK), Coyle (Thorvaldsson 84’), Andrew, Connolly (Sowerby 64’), Souttar, Burns, Whelan, Coutts (C), Madden, Gibson, McKay (Morris 71’).

Subs not used: Crellin (GK), Morris, Biggins, Saunders, Hill.

Peterborough XI: Pym (GK), Butler, Beevers, Eisa (Kanu 64’), Knight, Szmodics, Dembele, Thompson, Ward, Mason (Jones 82’), Taylor.

Subs not used: Chapman (GK), Brown, Reeds, Bennett, Boyd.

Attendance: 2,801 (270)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account