Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: A point and a clean sheet for Town against Portsmouth

15 December 2020

Match Reports

Report: A point and a clean sheet for Town against Portsmouth

15 December 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town held out in their Sky Bet League One clash against Portsmouth as they manage to earn a point and a clean sheet at Fratton Park.

The first half was a cagey affair with both sides struggling to create gilt-edged, with most of the possession in the middle of the park. Wes Burns was denied before the break before Craig MacGillivray pulled off a brilliant save with seconds to go in the game.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts when John Marquis’ low cross into the box found the feet of Ronan Curtis whose first-time effort flew high over the crossbar.

Josh Morris came close for the Cod Army when his cross-shot appeared to be curling in at the far post, but Portsmouth’s Jack Whatmough was in the way to head to the ball to safety.

Whatmough found himself at the heart of the action at the other end when his pass played Ryan Williams through on goal – his low driven effort was superbly saved by the diving Jayson Leutwiler.

Fleetwood almost found a way through themselves when Danny Andrew picked up the ball on the left flank. He picked out Madden just inside the area who saw the run of Wes Burns but he saw his strike saved by the feet of Pompey goalkeeper MacGillivray.

The home side had a chance to break the deadlock on the counterattack but Leutwiler was in the way again, pulling off a smart save to deny Williams for a second time.

Pompey threatened again when Andy Cannon latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the Fleetwood area, but he saw his effort blocked by the onrushing Callum Connolly.

Marquis came close for Pompey when he was picked out by Marcus Harness close to Leutwiler’s goal. His effort however didn’t trouble the goalkeeper as it soared over the bar.

Harness’s deflected cross almost found the back of the net before the break, but the back-peddling Leutwiler was able to claw the ball to safety.

It was a tightly contested battle for possession in the early stages of the second half with neither side managing to create a clear-cut chance. Connolly and Mulgrew were rock solid at the back for the Cod Army.

The first real chance of the half fell Portsmouth’s way when Curtis picked up possession on the left. He cut inside and unleashed a strike from range towards the near post but only managed to find the side netting.

With five minutes to go, Pompey came close to taking the lead Harness’ strike from the outside the area went inches wide of the near post.

Moments later, Fleetwood came close to taking home all three points when Duffy’s free-kick found Mulgrew at the back post but MacGillivray made himself big and blocked the shot.

Town XI: Leutwiler (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns, Camps, Morris (Duffy 78’), Mulgrew, Rossiter, Madden, McKay (Hill 74’), Finley (Coutts 78’).

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), Saunders, Boyes, Matete.

Portsmouth XI: MacGillivray (GK), Johnson, Naylor (C), Whatmough, Williams (Harrison 59’), Marquis, Curtis (Jacobs 73’), Cannon, Harness, Raggett, Pring.

Subs not used: Bass (GK), Close, Nicolaisen, Hiwula, Mnoga.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account