Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under 23s and 18s lose out to Wigan Athletic

27 August 2019

Match Reports

Under 23s and 18s lose out to Wigan Athletic

27 August 2019

Sponsored by

Both Fleetwood Town’s Under 23s and 18s fell to defeat against Wigan Athletic at Poolfoot Farm on Tuesday afternoon.

The Under 23s lost 4-3 in Central League Cup to Wigan, with the Under 18s losing out 3-2 in Clarets Cup. Read our double match report to see our take on the two matches.

Under 23s Match Report

Wigan Athletic went away with the victory after a well fought 4-3 win at Poolfoot Farm in the first group stage match of the Central League Cup. Town found themselves three goals down at the break, with Harvey Saunders missing a penalty just before the break. 

Saunders did get on the scoresheet inside the second half, and made it 3-1 after close control and a well driven finish, the Cod Army had the wind in their sails. With attack after attack, Jay Matete narrowed the scoreline with a long distance effort saw the ball creep inside the goal posts to make it a nervy time for the Latics.

Ryan Rydel did well for the equaliser when he saw his thunderous strike parried by the Wigan goalkeeper. The ball fell right in the path of Ged Garner, who was on hand to head the ball home from close range to make it 3-3. 

The referee pointed to the penalty spot late on for the visitors, and from the resulting spot kick, it was Wigan who found themselves back in the lead.

A tough one to take, but coach Stephen Crainey and the players will be happy with how they reacted after being three goals down at the interval. 

Under 18s Match Report

In the Clarets Cup match between Fleetwood’s and Wigan’s Under 18s, it was a game where chances fell for both teams, but Wigan came out on top.

Town were on top from the first whistle and when Anthony Williams stole the ball inside Wigan’s half, he only had the keeper to beat but from distance, he went for the spectacular and saw his effort sail over the bar.

Jamie Cooke won a free-kick 25-yards from goal and when he stepped up to take it, he watched his set-piece rocket off the crossbar after it initially beat the keeper.

The opening goal of the match came midway through the half and it was well deserved for the hosts. After the ball was delivered into the box, wide man Cian Hayes was there to knock the ball home.

The Latics upped their game after going one behind, and after winning a penalty through the keeper coming off his line – and taking the attacker down, the forward man got back up and put the ball in the opposite corner to where the keeper dived.

It was all square at half-time, but two early goals from Wigan killed the game off – not the start the coaching staff would have wanted after the talks at the break.

Simon Wiles’ men dug deep and when Hayes bagged his second of the match, there was a glimmer of hope that they could score one more and even the scores.

Hayes thought it was his day and in the last two minutes, the youngster went through on goal, and instead of lifting it over the keeper, he went for power only to see his effort go high and wide.

A great workout for the lads, with many first year scholars playing, with a number of the second years playing for the Development Squad in their Central League Cup match against Wigan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account