Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town leave it late to earn a well fought point against Wycombe

20 August 2019

Match Reports

Report: Town leave it late to earn a well fought point against Wycombe

20 August 2019

Sponsored by

A late goal from Paddy Madden sees Fleetwood come from behind to earn a point at home against Wycombe Wanderers.

On a wet and windy night on the Fylde Coast, Wycombe Wanderers thought they were taking away the points after Adebayo Akinfenwa’s header, but there was late drama.

Paddy Madden equalised for the Cod Army after Ryan Allsop dropped the ball from a shot from distance. A goal that meant the Irishman has reached 100 EFL goals for all clubs he has played for.

The match started in similar fashion to Doncaster with Town getting on the front foot from the first whistle. Wes Burns had the first effort of the match when his thunderous strike from distance rattled the crossbar.

Wycombe reacted well to Town’s strong start and had their first real good chance at goal through Alex Pattison. The midfielder drove forward before pulling the trigger from 20-yards. Matt Gilks was happy to watch the ball go wide.

With less than ten minutes to go until the interval, the home side had a fantastic opportunity to take the lead. Danny Andrew whipped in a delicious ball to the far post, Harry Souttar was there to nod it across goal for McAleny to nod in – but it was cleared away from the Wycombe defenders.

No changes were made at the break but it was the visitors who had the first chance of the second half with a free-kick just outside the box. Jacobson went for placement rather than power, which ultimately saw his effort cleared.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side took the lead at Highbury thanks to a close range header from Akinfenwa. The forward beat his man to the ball and guided his header into the far corner.

With Ash Hunter, Josh Morris and many other attacking options on the pitch for Joey Barton, it was a signal of intent with twenty minutes to go, but it was the away side who had the better of the chances.

Gilks was brought into the action after Anthony Stewart’s dipping effort from outside the box looked like it was going top corner. The Scottish international did well to tip it over.

From the resulting set-piece, Gilks again denied Wycombe from doubling their lead. The keeper tipped the ball onto the far post after Darius Charles’ downwards header.

The drama wasn’t over at Highbury, and it was time for Madden to step up and score his first goal of the season with a close range effort after Alsopp tumbled the ball. With five minutes added on, was there time for one more attempt at goal?

It wasn't to be for Fleetwod on Tuesday night, but after a good reaction from Saturday defeat at Doncaster, Barton's side now looking forward to the Lancashire Derby clash with Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Town XI: Gilks (GK), Coyle, Souttar, Clarke (Eastham 57’), Andrew (Hunter 67’), Coutts ©, Sowerby (Wallace 44’), McAleny, Burns, Morris, Madden

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), Dempsey, Biggins, Sheron

Wycombe XI: Alsopp (GK), Jacobson ©, Gape, Stewart, Wheeler, Pattison, Phillips, Akinfenwa (Samuel 67’), Charles, Freeman (Bloomfield), Onyedinma (Parker 89’)

Subs not used: Yates (GK), Kashket, Mascoll, Smyth

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account