Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hunter's last minute goal secures a point against Peterborough

19 April 2019

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town rescued a 1-1 draw against play-off pushing Peterborough United courtesy of a late Ash Hunter volley.

The visitors got the first goal of the game in the 64th minute, with Marcus Maddison hitting home at the back post, following Jason Naismith’s cross.

Cod Army substitute Hunter managed to equalise with a beautiful volley into the bottom corner, in the final minute of second half injury time. A thrilling finish!

Joey Barton made two changes to the starting line-up from Fleetwood’s previous game against Barnsley. Paddy Madden replaced Hunter, whilst Harrison Biggins came in for Harry Souttar, after the Scotsman received a three-match suspension following a red card.  

Both teams started well, but it was Fleetwood who threatened first after a lovely diagonal ball from Lewie Coyle found Ross Wallace, who delivered a dangerous cross into the area but Ched Evans couldn’t meet it in time.

Peterborough created a chance at the other end, three minutes later, when Maddison’s deep cross was cleared to Siriki Dembele, but the winger’s shot was blocked by Coyle.

Referee Tom Nield awarded the visitors a penalty, in the 19th minute, after Wes Burns brought Maddison down, inside the area. The man who was fouled stepped up to take the penalty, but Alex Cairns made a wonderful save to keep the scores level at 0-0.

Town had their own penalty shout, after Coyle was brought down in the area following a well-worked corner routine, but the referee waved away the protests to the frustration of the Cod Army.

Fleetwood continued to pose a threat and almost took the lead after Evans’ superb hold-up play led to Madden’s chipped attempt at goal, which was looping over Aaron Chapman, but the goalkeeper just managed to tip the ball over the crossbar.

The game remained open, which gave the Posh another opportunity at goal after Dembele was fouled in a dangerous position. Maddison’s resulting free-kick was hit over the wall and onto the crossbar, but it never seemed to be troubling Cairns.

It was all square at half-time with the score at 0-0 but the visitors had the first chance of the second half and came very close. Rhys Bennett met Maddison’s free-kick but it was Ivan Toney’s header that hit the post.

Burns continued to cause problems for the visitors on the right flank and this time the Welshman beat Dembele and Daniel Lafferty before delivering a dangerous low cross into the box, but Peterborough managed to just clear it away from danger.

The Posh opened the scoring in the 64th minute when Naismith found Maddison at the back post who was able to strike the ball past Cairns to put the visitors in the lead.

Fleetwood came close to equalising, three minutes later, after Ashley Eastham’s attempt on goal was just wide after a scramble in the box. Town came even closer in the 89th minute, when Chapman was forced into making a top class save to keep Wallace’s effort out.

Eventually, in the 95th minute, Fleetwood Town equalised when Peterborough could only clear, substitute and league debutant, James Hill’s throw-in as far as Ash Hunter - who then hit a sweet volley into the back of the net, much to the joy of the Cod Army!

Now it’s onto Bloomfield Road on Easter Monday, with a historic double up for grabs against Blackpool.

Town XI: Cairns (GK) Coyle, Eastham, Burns, Evans, Madden, Wallace, Nadesan (Hunter 74’), Husband, Biggins, Sheron (Hill 74’).

Subs not used: Jones (GK), Clarke, Southam-Hales, Baines, Rydel.

Peterborough XI: Chapman (GK), Naismith, Woodyard, Knight, Dembele (Denton 80’), Reed, Bennett, Toney (Godden 82’), Lafferty, Maddison, Tomlin (Cooper 75’).

Subs not used: O’Malley (GK), Lyon, Cooke, Stevens.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account