Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Final away game of the season ends in defeat at Peterborough

Marriott and Cooper goals see Town fall to defeat

28 April 2018

Sponsored by

Goals from Jack Marriott and George Cooper condemned Fleetwood Town to a 2-0 defeat at Peterborough United on Saturday afternoon.

After a goalless first half, Posh took control early on in the second as Town’s defence switched off and allowed Marriott to net, before Cooper added a second with around ten minutes to go. 

Jordy Hiwula had Fleetwood’s best chance of the game late on, before Lewie Coyle hit the crossbar in injury time.

John Sheridan wrung the changes from the side that lost 4-0 to Wigan Athletic last time out, making six in total including a goalkeeping change of Chris Neal for Alex Cairns. George Glendon, Nathan Pond, Conor McAleny, Paddy Madden and Jack Sowerby also returned.

The game was a slow burner, and it took over ten minutes for either side to register a chance. It went the way of Posh, as Marriott was released in the area and forced a good save from Neal.

Cooper was then put through, but wasn’t able to trouble Neal, as he fired straight at him, perhaps distracted by Ash Eastham putting pressure on the attacker.

Sowerby went close for Town with a thunderous effort from outside the area that sailed over Jonathan Bond’s goal.

The hosts should have take the lead when a free kick move found its way to Anthony Grant, who despite slipping as he shot, managed to strike the cross bar from the edge of the area with Neal beaten. With the ball bouncing directly downwards, there were murmurs it may have perhaps been close to crossing the line.

They struck the bar again when Neal palmed Jack Baldwin’s header onto the woodwork before managing to scramble a catch.

Madden was left fuming when Steven Taylor brought him down in the area while attempting a shot, after Ash Hunter’s header fell his way.

The second half started with the home side in the ascendency but despite countless balls into the area, Fleetwood were coping well and were able to clear.

Posh did take the lead though through their top scorer Marriott who latched onto a flick into the area, and completely unmarked was able to dink the ball over Neal.

For the third time in the match, Peterborough struck the bar when Gwion Edwards’ strike was too hot to handle for Neal, who fumbled the ball onto the woodwork before it bounced down and was smashed away to safety.

Town hadn’t threatened in the second half until Hunter tried a long range volley which ended up being just inches wide.

McAleny then did brilliantly to beat two men on the byline and laid off Hunter, with a Hiwula header from his chip being cleared away. Fleetwood were enjoying a decent spell of pressure.

Kyle Dempsey was then able to get a shot away, forcing Bond into a low save. Fortunately for the Posh, the rebound fell to their man and they were able to clear.

Fleetwood weren’t able to capitalise on their good spell, and Posh doubled their lead when Cooper neatly fired past Neal after a nice ball from Danny Lloyd.

Hiwula should have got a goal back for Sheridan’s men when he fired wide from twelve yards after a good counter attacking move.

Town continued a late rally, and Coyle was cruelly denied his first Fleetwood goal when his curling effort struck the corner of bar and post.

Posh XI: Bond (GK), Shephard, Hughes, Baldwin ©, Edwards, Maddison (Lloyd), Marriott (Kanu), Da Silva Lopes, Taylor, Cooper (Ward), Grant.

Subs: Tyler (GK), Forrester, Doughty, Anderson.

FTFC XI: Neal (GK), Coyle, Eastham, Pond ©, Dempsey, McAleny (Grant), Bolger, Madden (Hiwula), Glendon, Hunter, Sowerby (Biggins).

Subs: Cairns (GK), Diagouraga, Jones, Sheron.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account