Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Development Squad lose opening cup game to Wigan

19 September 2017

Match Reports

Development Squad lose opening cup game to Wigan

19 September 2017

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town’s Development Squad slipped to a 3-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Tuesday afternoon in their opening Central League North Cup fixture.

Two second half strikes from the Latics, and a combination of missed chances for Paul Murray’s side ultimately condemned Town to defeat at Christopher Park.

It was to be the Development Squad’s first match since narrowly losing the Lancashire FA Senior Cup final to Liverpool earlier in the month. Harrison Biggins captained the side, which included first teamers Victor Nirennold, Joe Maguire and Harvey Rodgers.

The hosts started the better in truth and took the lead inside four minutes. A dangerous corner was whipped into the box and ricocheted off multiple players before beating Billy Crellin in the Cod Army net.

Murray’s side responded well and went close on a couple of occasions through the lively Ashley Nadesan, before Gerard Garner had an effort blocked off the line after a mix-up between the home defence.

Michael Donohue had arguably Town’s best chance of the half late on, but shot over the bar from inside the area to ensure the score remained at 1-0 going into the break.

Nadesan and Donohue had good sights on goal early in the second period, but headed over on both occasions.

Then an error in Town’s defence gifted Wigan their second goal, a weak back-pass was collected, and then the attacker finished smartly passed Crellin.

A third goal followed following another slick piece of play and a smart finish. Town looked to get on the scoresheet towards the end with both Nadesan and Maguire going close.  

Fleetwood: Crellin, Kerrigan, Maguire, Holgate, Nirennold, Rodgers, Donohue, Biggins (c), Nadesan, Des Pres, Garner. Subs: Clayton (GK), Dodd, Unsworth, Bishop, Trialist. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account