Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hunter double fires Development Squad into last four of Lancashire FA Cup

25 October 2017

Match Reports

Report: Hunter double fires Development Squad into last four of Lancashire FA Cup

25 October 2017

Sponsored by

Two goals from Ashley Hunter and an own goal saw Fleetwood Town progress to the last four of the Lancashire Senior Cup after beating Blackpool 3-0 on Wednesday afternoon.

Hunter’s first minute strike set Paul Murray’s side on their way, with the striker grabbing a stunning second on the hour before a late own goal from Pool keeper Craig Thordarson.

Murray named Hunter in a front three alongside Wes Burns and Ashley Nadesan, with former Seasider Luke Higham starting in defence for the Cod Army.

It was to be Nadesan who played a vital role in the opening goal. The former Horley Town man hounded down Thordarson and took possession off the keeper in his own area, before squaring for Hunter who couldn’t miss from six yards. A perfect start.

Town dominated the opening half an hour with Hunter going close on a couple of occasions, without adding to the scoreline.

The visitors had a rare chance when Godswill Ekpolo misplaced a pass to Dylan Sumner, but the midfielder shot just wide of Chris Neal’s left hand post from 25 yards.

Nadesan had a great chance to double the lead just before half-time, but his header from Burns’ superb cross went just over the bar from inside the six yard box. It proved to be just a one goal lead at the break.

It took just 15 minutes after the break until Town added their second. Great pressing from Burns high up the pitch forced an error from Tom Williams, with Hunter then picking the ball up and bending it home from all of 25 yards. Thordarson left with no chance in the visitors net.

Lewis Baines was introduced at the back in place of Higham, and Nadesan threatened to add another. Thordarson was caught out of position when the attacker tried his luck from 40 yards, but his left footed chip went just over the bar.

Burns and Hunter were withdrawn after an impressive 75 minutes, and almost straight after came the crucial third goal. Captain Jack Sowerby’s near post corner was punched into his own net by Thordarson, who looked to clear his lines.

Murray’s side held on for victory and now move into the semi-finals of the competition where they lost narrowly in the final of last year’s trophy to Liverpool.

Fleetwood: Neal, Rodgers, Maguire, Higham, Godswill, Sheron, Sowerby (c), Biggins, Nadesan, Hunter, Burns. Subs: Trialist (GK), Garner, Mooney, Des Pres, Baines.

Blackpool: Thordarson (GK), Jacobson (c), Williams, Newton, Avon, Flynn, Sinclair-Smith, Sumner, Watkinson, Roache, Shaw. Subs: Simson (GK), Graham, Wainwright, Maddox, Dunne. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account