Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town suffer first defeat in five games

11 November 2017

Match Reports

Report: Town suffer first defeat in five games

11 November 2017

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town fell to their first defeat in five games as they narrowly lost 1-0 to MK Dons at stadium:mk on Saturday.

Aneke pounced on a fortunate ricochet minutes before half time and struck into the top right hand corner to win the game for the hosts. 

Town did have some good chances to score in the game, particularly in the second half, but they couldn't find their way past a strong Dons back line.

Uwe Rosler made three changes to the starting XI from Monday night's FA Cup win at Chorley, with Jordy Hiwula, Wes Burns and Baily Cargill coming into the side ahead of Ash Hunter, Nathan Pond and the suspended Lewie Coyle. George Glendon was also handed his 50th Fleetwood Town appearance.

There was a full eleven changes from Wednesday's Checkatrade Trophy win at Carlisle United.

Fleetwood started brightly in Buckinghamshire and had the first good chance of the game within three minutes as Devante Cole forced Dons keeper Lee Nicholls into a save as he headed on Kyle Dempsey's free kick.

MK's first golden chance could have perhaps earned the hosts the opener had Peter Pawlett kept his header down, after he was left unmarked from a corner kick.

They then had another great opportunity to take the lead from a free kick, but Ed Upson's set piece had just too much on it for Aneke to get a touch which would have likely taken the ball in.

It was far from one-way traffic though, and Town were dominant with the attacking play, but Dons were making it difficult for Fleetwood to create a decent end product in the final third.

Dons were looking vulnerable from the long ball, and it was Burns who took advantage as he burst down the right wing before crossing into the area, but MK cleared just as Dempsey was lining up ready to shoot.

Rosler's side had another great chance when the Dons failed to clear a loose ball in the area, allowing both Burns and Aiden O'Neill to try their luck, but both efforts were blocked.

The hosts still had chances in the first half, with Scott Wootton denied by a block, before Pawlett's strike suffered the same fate, as both defences stood their ground in a tight affair.

It was the hosts that took the lead just a couple of minutes before the break as the ball took a lucky deflection on the edge of the area after Town failed to clear their lines, and finding its way to Aneke who hit the ball sweetly past Alex Cairns.

Town were fortunate not to be 2-0 down at the break after a defensive mix up almost allowed Aneke to grab a second, but Cairns recovered well to smother the ball to safety.

Dempsey was the first to have a go in the second period, as Town began their search for an equaliser. Nicholls saved his curling effort from outside the area.

O'Neill then tried a go from the edge of the area, but did little to test the keeper as he fired wide.

Gboly Ariyibi looked dangerous for the home side, and he could have doubled the lead when he kept possession well on the edge of the box, but the American fired wide of Cairns' goal.

There were chances aplenty in the second half, and next it Burns who teed himself for a strike after a long free kick fell to him on the edge of the area, but he fired over as Town still struggled to find momentum for the equaliser.

Rosler made two changes with half an hour to go in an effort to swing the game, with Hunter and Godswill Ekpolo entering the field in place of Burns and Cargill.

Hunter forced a corner after his powerful cross was deflected wide with one of his first touches, which started a crazy two minutes at Stadium MK. The corner was cleared by the Dons, and despite Godswill perhaps being fouled on the edge of the area, they began a quick counter attack which saw Agard eventually hit the side netting.

From Cairns' goal kick, the ball was soon in the home side's penalty area and pinball ensued, but Cole was to be denied in last ditch fashion by the back four and Fleetwood were left with more to do to save a point in the game.

Two more good chances went begging for Town, as Hunter's shot was blocked, before Jack Sowerby – brought on by Rosler moments earlier – fired high and wide into the stands.

The Dons had the opportunity to seal victory in the final ten minutes as a piercing counter attack saw Alex Gilbey fire over from close range.

Town still continued to pressure the hosts into stoppage time, but it was to be a frustrating afternoon for Rosler's men as they head back to Lancashire empty handed.

Milton Keynes Dons XI: Nicholls (GK), Williams, Wootton, Upson, Ariyibi (Lewington), Aneke, Pawlett (Nesbitt), Golbourne, Agard (Seager), Ebanks-Landell, Gilbey ©.

Subs not used: Sietsma, Walsh, McGrandles , Thomas-Asante.

Fleetwood Town XI: Cairns (GK), Bell, O'Neill (Sowerby), Eastham, Hiwula, Dempsey, Burns (Hunter), Bolger ©, Glendon, Cargill (Godswill), Cole.

Subs not used: Neal (GK), Pond, Rodgers, Schwabl.

Referee: B Huxtable

Attendance: 7'827 (128 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account