Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bury frustrate Town at Gigg Lane

25 March 2017

Sponsored by

Another clean sheet gives Town a valuable point

Fleetwood Town recorded their second successive goalless draw in a week as they drew 0-0 with Bury in Sky Bet League One.

Kyle Dempsey hit the post in first half injury time, but that was the closest either side came in a frustrating affair at Gigg Lane.

Prior to kick off, head coach Uwe Rosler made two changes to the side that drew at home to Wimbledon last time out. Midfielder Cameron Brannagan and ex-Barcelona defender Godswill Ekpolo were drafted into the starting eleven, with Conor McLaughlin and Ashley Hunter.


For the opposition manager Lee Clark, he made four changes to the side that drew against Millwall a week ago.

The opening stages was met with each side looking to play football in the great conditions. Yet the only real action of the opening fifteen minutes was a Bury penalty appeal that was waved away, following Cian Bolger’s challenge on Jacob Mellis.

The pressure in the Fleetwood half continued, but with the aerial presence of the back three, the away side soaked up the pressure well.

However, the defence was disrupted after 21 minutes following Ben Davies being forced off through injury.

The defender was replaced by Joe Davis, who was making his first outing since his Boxing Day appearance against today’s opponents.

Yet, for Uwe Rosler’s side their first real shot in vain came after 23 minutes as Bobby Grant saw his effort loop into the hands of goalkeeper Joe Murphy.

Despite Town growing into the game it was Bury who looked more likely to break the deadlock, and when the venomous James Vaughan latched onto a wayward back pass from Ashley Eastham.

As the half reached its conclusion, Grant tested Murphy again but his stinging shot was gathered well by the Shakers goalkeeper.

Yet the chance of the half came from nothing, as Dempsey turned on a sixpence and beat Murphy in goal, but his low show could not divert the post and the sides entered half-time all square.

As the second half commenced the away side came out more determined and started the better of the two sides.

Yet with the introduction of the veteran Jermaine Pennant, Bury looked to threaten after the hour but Vaughan cold not turn his headed effort on target and was shortly replaced by George Miller.

In an attempt to inject pace in behind the Bury defence, Rosler introduced the lively Ashley Hunter with 25 minutes to go.

Town looked to utilise their aerial prowess from set-pieces and Bolger almost grabbed his sixth of the season on 69 minutes, but largely unmarked, he could not steer his effort on target.

Set-pieces continued to threaten the Bury defence and after employing a well worked corner routine, Town were unlucky to not force the break through as the ball skimmed the post after indivertibly hitting a Bury man.

Fleetwood’s last change saw Geroge Glendon come on for Marcus Schwabl after 73 minutes.

The game began to stretch and with good approach play on the right Hunter curled a shot from 18 yards out but his effort placed the wrong side of the post.

Despite the home side applying some pressure as the game came to an end, the resilience and experience of the Fleetwood back line ensured Cairns’ goal was well protected.

The result ensures Uwe Rosler’s side maintain their momentum in the push for the play-offs and will look to turn the draws into wins when they take on Swindon in their next fixture at Highbury next Saturday.

Fleetwood: Alex Cairns (GK); Godswill Ekpolo, Ashley Eastham, Ben Davies, Cian Bolger, Amari’I Bell; Bobby Grant, Cameron Brannagan, Marcus Schwabl, Kyle Dempsey, David Ball.

Subs: Matthew Urwin (GK), George Glendon, Ashley Hunter, Joe Davis, Victor Nirennold, Nathan Pond, Martyn Woolford.

Bury: Joe Murphy (GK), Greg Leigh, Antony Kay, Tom Pope, James Vaughn, Kean Bryan, Jacob Mellis, Leon Barnett, Taylor Moore, Callum Styles, Paul Caddis.

Subs: Rob Lainton (GK), Scott Burgess, Hallam Hope, George Miller, Jermaine Pennant, Ryan Lowe, Tom Beading.

Referee: Kevin Friend

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account