Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mooney brace helps Under 18's beat Morecambe

12 March 2017

Club News

Mooney brace helps Under 18's beat Morecambe

12 March 2017

Sponsored by

Young Town side record away win at The Shrimps

Fleetwood Town’s under 18’s came from behind to beat Morecambe 3-2 in a frantic match at Kendal Town’s Pye Motors Stadium on Saturday.


A second half brace from electric winger Dan Mooney ensured that Nathan Rooney’s men took all three points in the North-West Youth Alliance fixture.


Town took an early lead through Gerard Garner and dominated the first period but were stunned when the hosts fought back to take a 2-1 lead, ten minutes into the second half.


Town showed great character to fight back as Mooney equalised from the spot before capping an outstanding individual performance by firing home a late winner.


On a wet morning both teams struggled to impose themselves on the game in the early stages. Both Garner and Jack Bishop had half chances for the visitors but couldn’t test Niall Maher in the Morecambe goal.


In the 14th minute, Town took the lead when Mooney’s clever ball found its way to Garner just inside the penalty area, who lashed his shot into the far corner.


Almost straight from the kick off, the trickery of Mooney was causing Morecambe more problems down the left side as he saw his effort beaten away by Maher.


Morecambe began to probe through forward Kyle Horley but the Fleetwood defence were holding strong - while the lively Dom Kerrigan were pushing forward down the right flank.


Mooney, and then captain Lewis Baines, went close but Fleetwood couldn’t extend the lead as they headed into the break looking good value for the 1-0 scoreline.


A mis-communication between the Fleetwood back four gifted Morecambe’s Horley the first chance of the second half in the 48th minute but the forward couldn’t convert.


But three minutes later the hosts were level courtesy of Ben Headley’s side footed finish from the edge of the area.


The game had turned on its head and Morecambe looked rampant - in the 58th minute Joe Nelligan gave the home side the lead with a well struck volley which beat Harry Turner before rolling over the line via the post.


Just seconds later Mooney picked up the ball before going on a jinking run, he was barged over in the penalty area and Fleetwood would have the chance to go immediately level.


Mooney dusted himself off and got up to take the spot kick, he made no mistake coolly sending Maher the wrong way to make it 2-2.


The second half raced by as both teams searched for the winner, Nathan Rooney introduced Ryan Ryder and Connor Finlayson as Fleetwood pushed forward.


As the game appeared to be drifting out into a draw there was still time for one more moment of magic from Mooney, who twisted and turned on the edge of the penalty area before curling a shot into the far corner as Town took the lead with just two minutes left on the clock.

The staunch Fleetwood defence saw out the remaining minutes to claim a thrilling 3-2 victory.


Fleetwood: Turner (GK); Kerrigan, Baines, Holgate, Williams; Unsworth, Dodd, Collings; Mooney, Bishop, Garner. Subs (used): Ryder, Finlayson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account