Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

We've met before... Coventry City

19 January 2017

Sponsored by

Saturday's game will be seventh meeting between two sides

Town are chasing their third straight win over the Coventry this Saturday as they travel to the Ricoh Arena.


However, despite Town’s good form in this fixture – historically the sides have a remarkably similar record overall in the fixture, with each team having won twice, with one draw, and both sides have scored five goals.


When the sides met earlier in the season it was Town who came out on top – winning 2-0 at Highbury.


Chris Long broke the deadlock for Town after 58 minutes, before second half substitute Martyn Woolford added a second on his debut to give the Cod Army all three points.


In the 2015/16 season the sides met twice in League One, with the away team coming away with the win on both occasions.


In February 2016, Town travelled to the Ricoh Arena and a late David Ball goal ensured the Fleetwood faithful went home happy.


Wes Burns gave the Town the lead just before the hour mark, though Marcus Tudgay was on hand 20 minutes later to equalise for the Sky Blues. However, Ball had the last say, as his strike seven minutes before the end gave Town a hard fought 2-1 away win.


But earlier in the 15/16 season it was Coventry who came out on top at Highbury, as a 90th minute own goal from Richard Wood gifted the visitors a one nil victory.


The sides also met twice in League One in the 14/15 season, with Town taking a single point from the two matches.


In the second match of the season, in March 2015, it was again heartbreak for Town as two late Coventry goals gave them a 2-0 win at Highbury.


Dominic Samuel struck in the 88th minute, before Frank Nouble added another deep into injury time to ensure Coventry escaped Highbury with all three points.


But in the first match of the 14/15 season, and the first ever match between the sides, the points were shared in a 1-1 draw at the Ricoh Arena.


In December 2014, Town took the lead after 20 minutes through an Andrew Webster own goal. A lead they held onto until the 80th minute when Simeon Jackson equalised after being put through by Gary Madine.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account