Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town unbeaten in 13 after late leveller

4 February 2017

Sponsored by

Late drama at The Valley as Fleetwood earn a deserved point

Amari’i Bell’s 96th minute dramatic equaliser sealed a well-deserved point for Fleetwood as they drew 1-1 with Charlton Athletic.

Ricky Holmes and given the hosts the lead in the first half, but Bell salvaged a point in the dying moments of the game to extend Town’s unbeaten run to 13.

Uwe Rosler made three changes to the team which drew 1-1 with Southend United last Saturday. Markus Schwabl, Devante Cole and Wes Burns came in for George Glendon, Ashley Hunter and David Ball.

It took just two minutes for the recalled Cole to be in the thick of the action. The former Bradford City man sprung the offside track but his low effort was well kept out by Declan Rudd.

The hosts threatened briefly but long range shots from Jake Forster-Caskey and Joe Aribo did nothing to trouble Alex Cairns in the Fleetwood net.            

Cole soon found himself with time to shoot on goal, but with the angle tighter Rudd tipped his low effort wide for a corner. From the resulting set-piece the former Norwich City man saved a looping header from Cian Bolger.

Then, on the half hour mark, came the turning point of the opening half. Cole burst onto a Kyle Dempsey through ball and looked to have been caught by Rudd just inside the area but Mr Robinson chose to award a goal kick.

Just minutes later Charlton opened the scoring. Holmes turned in Forster-Caskey’s low pass after Town failed to clear a corner. This was enough to send Karl Robinson’s men into the break with a slender lead.

Uwe Rosler made his first attacking change at half-time, with David Ball brought on for Wes Burns.

The second half started with both sides cancelling each other out, with no real chances created, although goal scorer Holmes looked dangerous down the Charlton left.

Ashley Hunter and Cameron Brannagan were introduced past the hour mark, with the latter making his full debut for the club.

Hunter found space on the right and his low cross found the unmarked Ball, who spooned his effort onto the roof of the net 15 minutes from time.

It was all Town in the last 10 minutes, with Brannagan at the heart of the key moments for Rosler’s side.

A late corner was forced and then came the moment of jubilation for the 140 travelling members of the Cod Army. Bell pounced on a loose ball from Dempsey’s corner to keep Fleetwood fourth in the league.

Town could have won it at the death but Ball’s curling effort smacked the post and bounced clear.

A superb result for Town who are now 13 unbeaten in Sky Bet League One.

Charlton: Rudd (GK); Solly, Bauer, Konsa, Chicksen; Byrne, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Aribo, Holmes, Watt. Subs: Phillips (GK), Jackson, Mavidi, Botaka, Novak, Dasilva, Teixeira.

Fleetwood: Cairns (GK); Eastham, Bolger, Davies; McLaughlin, Dempsey, Schwabl, Grant, Bell; Burns, Cole. Subs: Neal, Brannagan, Ball, Davis, Glendon, Hunter, Maguire.

Referee: Mr Tim Robinson

Attendance: 9,916 (140 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account