Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Development Squad reach cup final after comeback win

28 February 2017

Match Reports

Report: Development Squad reach cup final after comeback win

28 February 2017

Sponsored by

Paul Murray's side come from two goals down

Fleetwood Town’s Development Squad have reached the Central Development Cup final after fighting back from two goals down against Sheffield United at Poolfoot Farm.


Alex Reid’s 93rd minute header sealed a thrilling second half comeback as Paul Murray’s side ran out 3-2 winners.


A first half brace from Sheffield United’s Kimarni Smith gave the visitors a 2-0 lead going into the break on a wet afternoon at Town’s training complex.


But a second half double of his own for Town striker Reid came either side of a Ashley Nadesan strike as Fleetwood booked their place in the final.


The hosts’ afternoon got off to the worst possible start as the lively Smith sprung the offside trap before his shot squirmed past Billy Crellin in the Town net.


Fleetwood recovered well and began to apply pressure on the Blades as Dominic Kerrigan and then Reid went close.


In the 35th minute Smith was at the forefront of another Sheffield United counter attack and he doubled the score line as he fired home from a tight angle.


Despite more good pressure from the home side, it remained 2-0 as the teams headed off for half time.


But Paul Murray’s side came out for the second half with the bit between their teeth and the pressure finally told in the 50th minute when Reid forced home from inside the penalty area.


Reid’s 70th minute header forced Jake Eastwood into a great save - as Murray brought on Dan Mooney and Gerard Garner as they chased the equaliser.


Lewis Baines flashed his header wide before Nadesan dragged his shot beyond the post, Fleetwood were rampant as United tried to cling on.


The deserved equaliser finally arrived with 10 minutes remaining as Nadesan found his way in behind the Blades’ backline before applying a good finish.


Nat Crofts and Smith continued to cause problems but the visitors were struggling to fashion out many efforts on Crellin’s goal.


A breathless second half saw six minutes added on as both sides chased a winning goal.


It came in the 93rd minute as Oliver Roberts whipped a ball into the box and Reid rose to loop a header over the Sheffield United goalkeeper and into the corner of the net.

United’s players were shell-shocked and Fleetwood saw out the remaining minutes without any threat as they capped off a memorable afternoon.


Fleetwood:Crellin (GK); Sheron, Baines, Myers; Kerrigan, Osborne, Roberts, Wallace, Maguire (c); Reid, Nadesan. Subs: Turner (GK), Trialist, Mooney, Garner, Shorrock. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account