Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late Cole goal seals fine away win

12 August 2017

Sponsored by

Fleetwood made it two wins from two in Sky Bet League One as they beat a battling Northampton Town 1-0 thanks to a late Devante Cole goal.

Substitute Cole strung the offside trap and outpaced the home defense and slotted his low effort past David Cornell to seal all three points.
The Cod Army began the brightest at Sixfields and could have been 1-0 up within the opening minute. Cian Bolger headed George Glendon’s corner onto the line and it was cleared through a melee of bodies by Aaron Phillips and away to safety.
Town were then given another golden chance to take the lead, as Kyle Dempsey pounced on a loose ball in midfield before threading a neat pass through to Jordy Hiwula, who forced a one handed save from Cornell.
The play wasn’t all going Fleetwood’s way in the early stages though, as Northampton threatened with a header from Ash Taylor that flew just over the bar, before former Cod Chris Long tested the reflexes of Alex Cairns from just inside the box.
Dempsey was the next to have a chance, with his low shot going just wide of the Cobblers’ goal. Town were forced into an earlier than fancied change as Conor McAleny was forced off with a knock, with Wes Burns his replacement.
Yaser Kasim was proving a dangerous threat for the home side, causing problems in mifdfield. It was to be Kasim who created a great chance for his side as his curling free kick sailed agonisingly over Cairns’ bar.
With the match heading to the break goalless, a wild final two minutes to the half ensued. First, Coyle cleared Billy Waters’ effort off the line, with play continuing around the penalty area. A looping ball over the top found an unmarked Aaron Pierre in the six-yard box, who will wonder how his header did not go in. Cairns produced flurry of acrobatic saves to deny him not once, twice, but three times.
Rosler made a second change at the break, introducing Burnley loanee Aiden O’Neill in the place of Glendon.
Burns was to create the first clear cut chance of the half as he shimmied his way into the box, but Taylor thwarted him from advancing any further. Alex Revell had the chance put the hosts ahead but his long range effort did little to test Cairns.
Long was the next to try his luck, as he turned Ash Eastham on the edge of the box and fired over from a narrow angle.
Rosler had introduced Cole to the action in a bid to break the deadlock, and Cole was to have a huge impact just a few minutes later as he did just that. The striker pounced on a through ball from O’Neill and slotted past Cornell in the Cobblers goal to give the Cod Army the lead.
As the game headed into the final throes, Fleetwood pushed for a second goal to put the game to bed, with O’Neill coming the closest to doubling the lead. He reacted first to Amari’i Bell’s lay off before forcing Cornell into a catch.
That was to be the final action of the game, as Fleetwood snatched all three points.
Attendance: 5124 (103 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account