Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 2 Coventry City 0

3 September 2016

Club News

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 2 Coventry City 0

3 September 2016

Sponsored by

Long and Woolford goals earn Town the points

Fleetwood Town continued their superb start to the season with a 2-0 win against Coventry City at Highbury Stadium.

Goals from Chris Long and Martyn Woolford sealed Uwe Rosler's third league win since taking over just a week before the start of the season.

Town made one change to the side that beat Southend United last week as Michael Duckworth came in for Conor McLaughlin. Coventry City started the game with new signings Gael Bigirimana and Jamie Sterry in place of Marcus Tudgay and Dion Kelly-Evans.

Fleetwood started out the game strong in the first ten minutes and they almost found themselves ahead early on. In the 8th minute, Devante Cole latched onto a through ball by David Ball and ran the ball down the left-wing, turning his man and trying a near post finish but Reice Charles-Cook was a match.

Coventry’s first chance of the game came in the 12th minute when the ball fell to Chris McCann on the edge of Town’s box, but his strike flew well wide of the target.

Town had another gilt-edged opportunity to go ahead six minutes later as Charles-Cook came out to defend a long ball from Jimmy Ryan but his header fell to Ball, who tried a long range chip, but it was headed off the line by Sterry.

 Long did brilliantly in the 21st minute, bringing a long pass down from Ryan whilst running the towards the corner, taking on his man and taking a shot which is headed away by the City defence. The ball was headed straight back to Long who took another shot but it was blocked yet again.

The game fell silent for a quarter of an hour until Ball had a sight of goal in the 37th minute but his edge of the box strike curled high and wide.

A minute later, Coventry were forced into a first half substitution as veteran McCann hobbled off the pitch, to be replaced by Tudgay.

Whilst in injury time in the first half, great play between Marvin Sordell and Dan Agye took the ball into the Town box and forced Neal into a brilliant save. The ball rattled around the Town box but it was eventually cleared to safety.

The first chance of the second half fell to Coventry as Sterry found some space on the edge of the Fleetwood box and took on the shot, which was saved well by Neal.

In the 55th minute, Sordell nicked the ball off Ryan in Town’s half and ran towards the defence, taking on his man but his shot was tame and pushed wide for a corner.

The deadlock was broken in the 58th minute as substitute Kyle Dempsey won the ball in his own half, played a perfect outside the foot pass to Long, who took on his man and hit a left-footed strike into the bottom left corner.

Town made it two in the 71st minute as Ball played in, the substitute, Woolford who hit the ball with his left foot and even though Charles-Cook got a touch, the ball still ended up in the back of the net.

Coventry tried to pull one back in the 84th minute as the ball fell to loanee Lewis Page but his left footed strike was well matched by Neal.

The last chance of the game fell to Ben Stevenson in the 88th minute but it didn’t trouble the Town defence as the shot flew high and wide.

FTFC: Chris Neal, Michael Duckworth, Nathan Pond, Ashley Eastham, Amari’i Bell, Eggert Jonsson (Kyle Dempsey, 45’), Jimmy Ryan, Bobby Grant, David Ball, Chris Long (Ashley Hunter, 78), Devante Cole (Martyn Woolford, 68).

UNUSED SUBS: Alex Cairns, Cian Bolger, Kieran Wallace, Victor Nirennold.

CCFC: Reice Charles-Cook, Jordan Willis, Cian Harries, Jordan Turnball, Lewis Page, Jamie Sterry, Gael Bigirimana, Chris McCann (Marcus Tudgay, 38’), Vladmir Gadzhev (Ben Stevenson, 67), Dan Agye (Andre Wright, 72), Marvin Sordell.

UNUSED SUBS: Lee Burge, Ruben Lameiras, Kyel Reid, Sam Ricketts.

REFEREE: Mark Haywood (REF).

Ass. REFEREES: Alan Clayton, Barry Gordon, Jonathon Hunt.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account