Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Previous meetings: Chesterfield

16 November 2016

Club News

Previous meetings: Chesterfield

16 November 2016

Sponsored by

Look back at the last five meetings with the Spireites...

Ahead of Saturday’s clash with Chesterfield, we take a look at our most recent clashes with the Spireites...

Chesterfield 0 – 1 Fleetwood: 18/10/16

The last meeting between the two teams came little under a month ago at the Proact Stadium and saw Town run out 1-0 winners. The Cod Army’s goal that night came from the right-boot of Northern Ireland international Conor McLaughlin just before the first half interval. 

The Reds were indebted to substitute goalkeeper Alex Cairns as they clung onto victory in Derbyshire. The 23 year old, making only his second ever senior appearance, pulled off a string of good saves after replacing the injured Chris Neal as early as the ninth minute. 

McLaughlin’s low drive across goal just four minutes before the break is currently his only strike for Town this season, but he did score for the Green and White Army last Friday night in a World Cup qualifier at Windsor Park against Azerbaijan. International commitments have meant the full-back was absent from the recent fixtures against Port Vale and Southport but he is expected to return to Uwe Rosler’s match day squad this weekend.

Chesterfield 0 – 0 Fleetwood: 26/03/16

Town nudged a step closer to League One safety with a goalless draw at Chesterfield in late March. The Cod Army, in their change strip of yellow and black, were fearful of conceding a penalty when Gary Roberts went down under Chris Maxwell’s challenge but referee Nigel Miller blew his whistle only to book the hosts attacker for simulation.

Steven Pressley’s side defended resolutely throughout, so much so that the Spireites didn’t have a shot on target all match, and Town nearly nicked the victory when Ashley Hunter clipped the outside of the post in the second half. The point was well received however and edged Fleetwood three points above the relegation zone at a crucial time in the season.

Fleetwood 0 – 1 Chesterfield: 31/10/15

The last time Chesterfield made the two and a half hour trip north to Highbury was on the final day of October last year and they left with all three points. Former-Wolves striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake’s neat finish on the half-hour was the only difference between the sides on a frustrating day for Town.

The Spireites goal was fortunate in nature. Town defender Dionatan Teixeira miscued Sam Herd’s cross onto his own crossbar before ‘SEB’ showed the prolific nature which earned him two consecutive Championship Golden Boot’s during his time at Molineux as he pounced to slam the visitor’s in-front. 

The Cod Army thought they were back on level terms when David Ball glanced in Nathan Pond’s cross in the second half but the goal was disallowed for offside and Dean Saunders side vacated Highbury with all three points.


Chesterfield 3 – 0 Fleetwood: 28/02/15  

The less said about Town’s trip to the Proact Stadium on the final day of February last year the better as Paul Cook’s side outclassed Fleetwood to run out 3-0 winners.

Caolan Lavery stroked in Gboly Ariyibi’s cut-back to give the hosts a lead they’d never relinquish just after the half-hour. Sam Hird pounced after Ian Evatt’s header was parried to double the Spireites advantage and it went from bad to worse for Town when Antoni Sarcevic was dismissed after two quick fire bookings for dissent in the aftermath of the goal.

Sam Morsy fired in a third on 63 minutes and to compound the Cod Army’s misery, manager Graham Alexander was sent to the stands for venting his anger with the officials on the touchline. All in all an afternoon to forget for the Reds.

Fleetwood 0 – 0 Chesterfield: 23/08/14  

Fleetwood extended their unbeaten start to life in English football’s third tier with a slightly fortunate draw against a Chesterfield side who had been promoted alongside the Cod Army in 2013-14.

The away side came to Highbury in a vibrant move and nearly took the lead through Jay O’Shea and then Gary Roberts in a first-half which they dominated. Gareth Evans saw Town’s best chance beaten away by his former-Macclesfield teammate Tommy Lee. In the end the Cod Army were clinging onto a point when Spireites striker Armand Gnanduillet’s low shot somehow ricocheted off the inside of the post and rebounded to safety off the shin of Stephen Crainey. 

A healthy crowd of over three and a half thousand spectators saw Graham Alexander’s troops earn a point that kept them at the top of the embryonic League One table. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account