Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: September

17 May 2016

The Cod Army endured a difficult month and picked up only two points

September started in dramatic fashion as goalkeeper Chris Maxwell saved a 90th minute penalty to deny Ian Henderson to earn the Cod Army a share of the spoils at Highbury.

Dale took the lead 10 minutes into the second half when Peter Vincenti was left unmarked and headed in from close range at the back post.

Jamille Matt’s form in front of goal continued as he netted his second of the season when he rose highest to head Bobby Grant’s corner home with only three minutes remaining.

Vincenti then won a late spot kick, going down after a challenge from Eggert Jonsson, but Maxwell pulled off a superb low save to deny Henderson.

Town’s next game also ended by the same scoreline as they played out an entertaining 1-1 draw against Phil Parkinson’s Bradford City outfit.

Jimmy Ryan gave Town the perfect start as his free kick from the left flew over keeper Ben Williams and found the far corner after just three minutes.

Experienced front man James Hanson brought his side level midway through the first half when he connected with Josh Morris’ cross and beat Maxwell.

The Bantams thought they’d won the game in stoppage time when Steven Davies scored, but the linesman had his flag up for offside.

Goals in each half from Jordan Flores and Michael Jacobs saw Fleetwood defeated at the DW Stadium when they traveled to take on Wigan Athletic.

Flores fired home from the edge of the area on his full debut for the Latics after Town had failed to clear their lines in defence.

He then turned provider for Jacobs almost immediately after the break as the midfielder converted from inside the box.

Tyler Forbes reduced the arrears on the hour mark when he found the net, and despite David Ball hitting the post late on, the home side hung on to win.

The Cod Army fell to defeat once more in their next game as they welcomed Staffordshire side Port Vale to the Fylde Coast.

Grant opened the scoring after 14 minutes as he beat two men on the edge of the box before curling the ball into the far corner.

Substitute Colin Daniel made a difference for the Valiants when he came on, and levelled things up with a long drive from distance.

Daniel was then tripped in the area by Victor Nirennold with just over 20 minutes to play, and Sam Foley stepped up to take the spot kick and beat Maxwell.

Town’s final game of the month away to Gillingham was to be manager Graham Alexander’s last in charge of Fleetwood as they fell to a 5-1 reverse.

Things began positively for the visitors as Grant scored the game’s first goal with a low curled free kick from distance.

Rory Donnelly converted at the back post to level and Chelsea loanee Jordan Houghton headed the Kent side in front.

John Egan's strike and Donnelly's deft chip made it 4-1 at the break, and Cody McDonald added a fifth before Eggert Jonsson was sent off for two bookings.

Advertisement block