Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: November

19 May 2016

A 5-1 win over Swindon was a highlight of the month

The first round of the FA Cup was to be November’s opening game as Town faced a trip to the West Midlands to take on Walsall at the Banks’s Stadium.

Midfielder George Evans gave the home side the lead, firing in a low drive after good work from Milan Lalkovic and Romaine Sawyers.

Despite going close to finding a leveller on a number of occasions in the second half, the Cod Army were caught on the counter late on and Anthony Forde netted a second in stoppage time.

The following game was to be cup action once more, this time in the JPT as Fleetwood hosted Nigel Adkins’ Sheffield United team.

After a goalless 90 minutes, the game went straight to penalties and Chris Maxwell was the hero as he kept out three spot kicks as Town won 4-1.

Back to league matters, and Steven Pressley’s men were beaten narrowly at Peterborough United in their next game as Jermaine Anderson scored a winner with 13 minutes to play.

Substitute Souleymane Coulibaly's first touch of the game broke the deadlock in the second half, but former Posh man David Ball equalised before Anderson’s header sealed the win.

Town then lifted themselves out of the bottom four with a convincing 5-1 victory over Swindon on a wet afternoon at Highbury.

The Robins’ Adam El-Abd put the ball into his own net for the opener as he turned in David Henen's cross, while Antoni Sarcevic's penalty doubled the advantage.

Sarcevic then turned provider for Henen who scored his first goal in Town colours with a well taken finish, before Tariqe Fosu added a fourth.

Nicky Ajose headed a consolation for the Wiltshire outfit with just over ten minutes to play, but Bobby Grant rubbed salt into the wounds with a fifth late on.

It was to be back to back league wins for the Cod Army as they put in a brilliant performance to beat recently relegated Millwall.

Eggert Jonsson had given the hosts the lead just after the hour mark when he headed home Fosu's cross, and Grant later scored direct from a corner to make it two.

Byron Webster pulled one back for the Lions deep into stoppage time, but Town held on for a precious three points.

November ended with one of the Club’s biggest ever games as they faced near neighbours Blackpool for the first time in a Football League meeting.

Pressley’s men were unable to extend their winning run at Bloomfield Road, as captain Nathan Pond put through his own net in the first half.

Advertisement block