Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: January

23 May 2016

Club News

Season Review: January

23 May 2016

Sponsored by

Ash Hunter netted Town's first goal of 2016

The year started on a positive note for the Cod Army as they were deserved 2-0 winners against Bury at Highbury thanks to goals from Ash Hunter and Bobby Grant.

Antoni Sarcevic provided the assist for young striker Hunter, who slotted low past keeper Daniel Bachmann at the start of the second half.

Despite the Shakers’ best efforts to find an equaliser, Grant popped up with a second a quarter of an hour from time as he latched onto Sarcevic’s cross.

Town’s next game was a trip to Barnsley’s Oakwell in the first leg of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Northern Area final first leg.

Conor Hourihane went close early on for the hosts as he saw his shot cleared off the line before  Grant missed with a curled effort.

Steven Pressley’s men went ahead on the hour when Hunter’s low cross was parried into his own net by Tykes keeper Adam Davies.

The lead didn’t last long however as Manchester United loanee Ashley Fletcher headed home a cross from the left which beat Chris Maxwell.

It was another trip on the road for Town ten days later as they made the long journey south to face Colchester United on a Tuesday evening,

Talented midfielder Alex Gilbey gave the U’s the lead in the first half with a fine finish, before Eggert Jonsson drove an expert volley into the far corner from inside the box.

Doncaster Rovers were the next visitors to Highbury, but it was to be a disappointing game for both sides as it ended goalless on the Fylde Coast.

In a game of very few chances, Jimmy Ryan nearly won it in the second half for Town when his long range strike struck the crossbar.

The final game of the month saw the Cod Army slip to a narrow defeat away at Bradford City as Steven Davies’ stoppage time goal won it for the Bantams.

Town had taken the lead in the second half when Jamille Matt rose highest in the box to head Ryan’s free kick into the far corner.

James Hanson levelled on 67 minutes, before substitute Davies tapped in after a shot by new signing Wes Thomas was tipped onto the bar by Maxwell.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account