Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth report: Fleetwood Town 0-3 Burnley

15 March 2016

Nathan Rooney's side fell to defeat at home on Tuesday

Fleetwood Town’s youth team suffered a 3-0 home defeat to Burnley in the North West Youth Alliance League on Tuesday afternoon.

Tristan Jumeau opened the scoring for the Clarets, before second half strikes from Tinashe Chakwana and Josh Dolling sealed all three points.

Manager Nathan Rooney made two changes in personnel after last weekend’s 1-1 draw against Accrington Stanley, with Dan Mooney coming in along with goalkeeper Elliott Wynne for Max Johnstone.

The game started slowly, but it was Burnley who opened the scoring after just 15 minutes when Jumeau ran through on goal and slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

Fleetwood responded well, and went close to restoring parity when Mooney was found by a terrific diagonal ball from Lewis Shorrocks, and the winger cut inside his defender but his shot was well saved by Burnley goalkeeper Connor King.

The visitors could and probably should have gone 2-0 up before half time when Jumeau was played in eight yards out, but dragged his shot wide of the target.

A cross from the left then almost caught Wynne out, the ball swirling around and almost nestling in the top corner.

Into the second half, and Fleetwood started to look better going forward, without creating many clear cut chances.

Midfielder Michael Tetteh went on a terrific run through the heart of the defence, but couldn’t find a red shirt in the middle.

Burnley then spurned a good chance through Chakwana, however he was to atone for that miss minutes later as he scored the second goal.

A long ball was played up allowing Chakwana to run through, and he looked to have taken the ball too wide but instead found the net to double the visitors’ advantage.

Chakwana then turned provide, as he played the ball into the path of striker Dolling who finished beyond Wynne to put the game beyond doubt.

The home side then went close to getting on the scoresheet late on, when substitute Solomon Aboubakar headed over an inswinging free kick from Tetteh.

Advertisement block