Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Nicholson: It was a game of two halves

29 March 2016

Development squad drew 3-3 against Carlisle this afternoon

Development squad manager Barry Nicholson cut a frustrated figure at the end of this afternoon’s 3-3 draw against Carlisle United at Poolfoot Farm.

The Cod Army began the game superbly and were ahead 3-1 at the break thanks to goals from Bobby Grant (x2) and Nick Haughton.

Town were pegged back though in the second half and the Cumbrians rescued a draw late into the game.

Nicholson said: “It was like night and day from the first half to the second half. I thought in the first half we were unbelievable with some of the football we played.

“Our pressing out of possession was everything that we ask for and we aggressive with our passing play when going forward.

“We were really clinical in front of goal and could have probably been more goals ahead at half time rather than just having the three.

“We had 3v1 and 2v1 situations and they’re situations you’ve really got to be scoring as they can kill games off.

“I thought for the first 10-15 minutes of the second half I thought we were okay, but for the last half an hour we stopped doing the good things.

“We invited a little bit of pressure by not making the right passes at the right time, and obviously Carlisle got themselves back into the game.”

With Grant having scored five goals in the past two development games, he will now be hoping for a return to first team action this weekend after serving his three game suspension.

“You just ask the first team lads who drop down into the development games to give everything they’ve got, and Bobby has certainly done that.

“The energy and the enthusiasm he’s shown over the last two games with this group has been excellent and he’s done himself no harm whatsoever.

“Nick needed 90 minutes under his belt as well because he’s not played a lot of football. It’s vital for him to get fitness.

“I thought he was excellent and took his goal really well. In the first half we was top drawer but we struggled to get the ball to him in the second half.”

Advertisement block