Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Roda JC Kerkrade 1-0 Fleetwood

23 July 2016

Club News

Report: Roda JC Kerkrade 1-0 Fleetwood

23 July 2016

Sponsored by

Long-range strike from Boysen gives Roda a narrow win

Fleetwood ended their tour of Holland with a 1-0 defeat to Roda JC Kerkrade.

But it was only a fantastic long-range strike which separated the two sides in an otherwise tight and competitive clash held at the home of local side De Treffers.

After a tough week in Holland Town once again came up against strong opposition as they faced Roda JC Kerkrade who finished 16th in the Dutch top flight last season.

Unlike the previous two games, boss Pressley was able to select from an almost fully fit squad.

Just Aaron Holloway and Amari’i Bell sat out with minor injuries as Pressley once again handed his squad 45 minutes of action each ahead of the big League One kick-off on August 6.

A strong looking Fleetwood side started the game with Nathan Pond and Ashley Eastham paired up in the centre of defence.

Bobby Grant, Keano Deacon, Jimmy Ryan and Eggert Jonsson made up the midfield, while David Ball and Ashley Hunter the preferred strike partnership.

Dutch winger Ricardo Kip returned from injury to make the bench.

From the game’s first minute you could tell we were in for a competitive affair, with Roda knocking the ball around with the style you’d expect from a Dutch team.

It was Fleetwood who managed the game’s first effort on goal, when Ash Hunter combined well with Bobby Grant, only for the striker’s effort to always be rising.

The next ten minutes was played at a very high tempo as the cloudy weather was replaced by blazing sunshine.

And only a superb Pond block denied the home side from opening the scoring when he dived in front of Daniel de Silver’s goal-bound effort.

Fleetwood were growing into the game, looking much brighter than the Alkmaar game three days previous.

On 20 minutes Bobby Grant and Hunter again linked-up, with Grant firing a rasping effort towards goal only for a superb block from a defender denying him.

Nine minutes later the game’s best chance fell to David Ball.

Superb work by Bobby Grant and Conor McLaughlin down the right led to Ball controlling and shooting on the turn, only for keeper Ben van Leer to be a match to it with a wonderful save.

Despite the home side’s clear threat and quality on the break, it was Fleetwood who continued to dominate and yet again came close on 34 minutes.

This time McLaughlin rose brilliantly to head a Hunter corner just wide from 12 yards.

As half-time approached there’s no doubt Pressley will have been the happier of the two managers, although it was all change at the break.

Town had planned the nine substitutions they made, as the management attempt to get all their players up to speed ahead of the new season.

All but keeper Chris Neal and left-back Michael Duckworth were replaced.

Despite the changes Town continued to compete after the break, although chances for either side were few and far between.

It looked as if it would take something special to break the deadlock, and on 69 minutes Roda produced exactly that.

Winger Daniel Boysen was given space 25 yards out before firing a wonderful effort into the top corner off the underside of the bar, Neal in goal had no chance.

The goal really settled the home side who looked much more accomplished in possession as the half went on, although Pressley will have been delighted with the defensive shape and work rare of his side who kept chances against them to a bare minimum.

The full time whistle brought to an end the seven-day tour of Holland and while results may not show it, this has been a trip the side will take plenty from.

Town first half: Neal, McLaughlin, Pond, Eastham, Duckworth, B Grant, Ryan, Jonsson, Deacon, Ball, Hunter.

Town second half: Neal (Cairns 75), Wright, Bolger, Davis, Duckworth, T Grant, Osbourne (Sowerby 55), Nirennold, Kip, Cole, Haughton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account