Cod Army drawn with Oldham, Carlisle and Blackburn
Fleetwood Town will face Oldham Athletic, Carlisle United and Blackburn Rovers in this season’s EFL Trophy group stages.
A total of 64 clubs will compete in the new-look format for this season's competition, which gets underway with 16 groups of four teams.
The Cod Army were drawn in Group D alongside sides from League One and Two, as well as Blackburn Rovers who are the invited team with a Category One academy.
The new format will see us face each side once, either home or away, with full details to be announced in the coming days.
This year's format is being implemented on a trial basis, with the competition due to be reviewed again at the end of the season.
- The Cod Army are in one of 16 four-team groups for the competition (Fleetwood being placed in one of the two Northern Section groups)
- Each group has an invited Category One academy along with at least one League One and League Two side
- Fleetwood will play their three group opponents once each, either at home or away
- The top two teams from each group will progress to the knock-out stage of the competition
- Each group winner will play at home to a group runner-up in round two (which will also be regional)
Fleetwood’s three group matches will be during the following weeks, designed to take place during international breaks:
Blackburn Rovers (H) - w/c August 29
Oldham Athletic (H) - w/c October 3
Carlisle United (A) - w/c November 7
If we make it out of the group they will go into the second round, the knock-out stage dates are:
- Round Two: w/c December 5
- Round Three: w/c January 9
- Round Four: w/c January 23
- Semi-final: w/c February 20
- Final: April 2 (at Wembley Stadium)