Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Doncaster Rovers (H)

23 January 2016

Match Reports

Preview: Doncaster Rovers (H)

23 January 2016

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Fleetwood Town’s unbeaten run in 2016 continued this afternoon as they played out a goalless draw against Doncaster Rovers at Highbury.

Steven Pressley made two changes to his side for the visit of Rovers, with David Henen and Nick Haughton both starting in a front three alongside Bobby Grant.

New signings Alex Kiwomya and Devante Cole were amongst the substitutes, after penning deals with the Cod Army on Thursday and Friday respectively.

The visitors started well and created an opening early on through loanee Lynden Gooch, who fired wide of Chris Maxwell’s goal.

In response, Haughton, who looked dangerous for Town, found space some 25 yards from goal and shot at Thorsten Stuckmann who held his effort.

Henen later burst down the right and crossed for Amari’i Bell at the back post, but the left back couldn’t quite divert past Stuckmann.

The Cod Army were restricted to long range strikes, and Jimmy Ryan was the next to have a go as Stuckmann kept out his shot.

Maxwell was called into action on the half hour mark as he kept out Gooch’s strike expertly by tipping over the bar.

The experienced Richard Chaplow’s creativity was catching the eye for Rovers, and he went close to opening the scoring with a strike which went just wide before the break.

Town began the second half well, and Haughton created an opportunity for himself but shot high over the Memorial Stand.

For Rovers, their best opportunity after the interval fell to Andy Williams who got in behind the defence and forced Maxwell into a low save.

Kiwoyma and Cole were introduced to the play by Pressley on the hour mark as Henen and Haughton made way.

And the pair were making an impact up front and very nearly combined as Kiwmoya drilled a low ball into the box which just evaded Cole.

The Cod Army were piling the pressure on during the final quarter of an hour, and were unfortunate not to take the lead when Ryan’s long range strike rattled the crossbar.

Despite continuing to create chances late on, Town were unable to find a winning goal and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account