Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town extend unbeaten run to nine after draw

26 December 2016

Club News

Report: Town extend unbeaten run to nine after draw

26 December 2016

Sponsored by

Fleetwood frustrated by Bury in 0-0 draw

Fleetwood Town were held to a goalless Boxing Day draw against Bury at Highbury Stadium.

Town looked the more likely to score throughout the game but they were unable to create many clear cut chances on goal.

Town made two changes to the side that drew against Swindon Town before Christmas as Aaron Amadi-Holloway and Joe Davis came in for Devante Cole and Ashley Hunter. Bury also made some changes to their side as Rob Lainton and Hallam Hope replaced Paul Rachubka and James Vaughan. Niall Maher was set to play but a late change just before kick-off saw him make way for Callum Styles, meaning Bury had just five substitutes on the bench .

The first chance of the game came after just three minutes as Amadi-Holloway intercepted a weak pass by Tom Soares. He played it into the box with a first time pass but David Ball’s shot was straight at the keeper.

The game was slow to start and Bury had to wait until the 19thminute for their first major chance. George Miller cut inside, after taking on Cian Bolger, but the defender managed to get back and blocked the attackers shot.

Amari’i Bell had a shot on goal just after the half hour mark but he dragged the ball wide of the right-hand post, after decent build up play.

With half time lingering, Tom Pope came closest to scoring as a cross from Greg Leigh to the back of the box went straight to Pope but his challenged header went just over the bar.

The first chance of the second half was by substitute Hunter, who came on for Amadi-Holloway at half time. He played a one-two with Ball inside the Bury box but his shot went just wide. Just after that, Bobby Grant had a sight of goal from 20 yards out but his left-footed strike flew high and wide.

The game showed some life with 20 minutes left as Bury had the game’s first shot on target after 66 minutes as Miller forced a good diving save out of Alex Cairns. Just after that, Long made his last impact of the game as he was played in inside the Bury box but his shot flew over.

Fleetwood looked more likely to score in the latter minutes of the game. Lainton caught Bolger’s low driven shot in the 70thminute before substitute Victor Nirennold’s header from a corner was easily saved.


George Glendon almost opened the scoring with the last chance of the game as he curled a free-kick towards the bottom left corner but the Bury keeper got down well to parry the ball wide.

FTFC:Alex Cairns, Conor McLaughlin, Nathan Pond, Cian Bolger, Joe Davis (Victor Nirennold, 45’), Amari’i Bell, Bobby Grant, George Glendon, Aaron Amadi-Holloway (Ashley Hunter, 45’), David Ball, Chris Long (Devante Cole, 68’).

UNUSED SUBS:Chris Neal, Eggert Jonsson, Jack Sowerby, Alex Jakubiak.

BFC:Rob Lainton, Greg Leigh, Kelvin Etuhu, Antony May, Tom Pope, Tom Soares, Scott Burgess, Callum Styles, Hallam Hope, George Miller, Jacob Bedau.

UNUSED SUBS:Ben Williams, Danny Mayor, Anthony Dudley, Tom Walker, Niall Maher, Ryan Cooney.

REFEREE:Nigel Miller.

Ass. REFEREES:Chris Isherwood, Mark Duncan, Natalie Aspinall (4th).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account