Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town 1-1 Fleetwood Town

2 April 2016

Swindon Town 1-1 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood Town left the County Ground wondering how they did not take away all three points following a 1-1 draw with Swindon Town.

The visitors missed numerous glorious goal scoring opportunities but were unable to build on Wes Burns' opener in the sixth minute.

Despite all of their pressure in the Swindon final third, the hosts found an equaliser through the division's top goalscorer Nicky Ajose with 22 minutes remaining.

Steven Pressley drafted Bobby Grant back into his starting line-up after the midfielder scored five goals in the past two development squad matches.

Conor McLaughlin and Wes Burns also regained their starting positions after spending time away with their national teams.

Within sixty seconds, the international pair linked up as McLaughlin fired a dangerous low effort towards goal for Burns to narrowly tap wide, however it would have been disallowed for offside.

Fleetwood were on the front foot from the off and their pressure paid off with six minutes to go as Burns scored his fourth goal in nine matches for the Cod Army.

A short well-worked corner routine was whipped into the box by Jimmy Ryan, and with the help of Stevie Jordan’s flick on, Burns slotted past Tyrell Belford at the front post.

Fleetwood should have doubled their advantage four minutes later, as McLaughlin and Burns linked up again, this time on the left. The Welsh international shrugged off the attention of White, and with Grant in acres of space in front of goal, the striker opted to shoot, forcing a good save from Belford.

The visitors continued to control the play at the County Ground but as the clock ticked away, Swindon started to gain more self-belief.

The hosts should have drawn level just after the half hour mark as an unmarked Nicky Ajose failed to connect with an in swinging cross from Bradley Barry.

But two minutes later, Grant and Fleetwood will be scratching their heads to why they did not double their lead.

From the half way line, Ryan spotted Grant’s run into the penalty area, and showing a good touch, the attacker was on side and through on goal. With just the goalkeeper to beat, Grant fired straight at a Belford.

The second half started with controversy as Jermaine Hylton was booked by referee Brown for diving; after he went down under the challenge of Maxwell, but the right decision was awarded.

The final 45 minutes certainly had some bite but with 58 minutes played, goal scorer Burns seemed to have picked up a knock, and was withdrawn for pacey frontman Ashley Hunter.

An absolute crazy moment occurred just after the hour mark and it is one of those moments where you just cannot believe how did the ball not cross the line?

Ashley Hunter robbed possession from the Swindon defence to tee up Bobby Grant to hit the bar, Ball then clattered the post, for Grant to hit the bar again before Hunter had the final attempt which hit the post and went wide.

And after that crazy moment, Swindon punished the Cod Army in the 68th minute as the League One’s leading goal scorer Ajose connected with Michael Doughty’s cross to level proceedings.

Manager Pressley responded by bringing Devante Cole on for Ball. But it was the hosts that nearly went ahead as Louis Thompson rattled the bar with a rasping drive from 20-yards, a huge let off for Fleetwood.

The third and final change came as David Henen replaced Grant. Sub Henen made an immediate impact, linking up with Cole, but again Town could not convert as the Everton loanee could only fire straight at the goalkeeper.

From the following corner, Cole had a header cleared off the line by defender Thompson as Fleetwood continued to press for a winner.

Cole again squandered a glorious chance side footing wide from the front post after an excellent delivery from Hunter from the right channel.

But it wasn't to be for the Cod Army, and now they will take all of the positives from the game into Tuesday's match at Peterborough.

Advertisement block