Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Southend United 2-2 Fleetwood Town

9 April 2016

Club News

Match report: Southend United 2-2 Fleetwood Town

9 April 2016

Sponsored by

Goals from Bobby Grant and Conor McLaughlin earned Town a point

Fleetwood Town stretched their unbeaten league run to four games as Conor McLaughlin's late header earned them a point at Roots Hall.

Bobby Grant gave Town the lead in the second half when he unleashed a rocket from 30 yards which flew into the top corner.

Home captain Adam Barrett then equalised for the Shrimpers on 71 minutes as he headed home powerfully from a corner.

Jack Payne completed the turnaround with ten minutes to play when he cut in from the right and shot low into the bottom corner.

However the Cod Army weren't finished there, and McLaughlin popped up at the back post late on to rescue a point for the Fylde Coast side.

After Tuesday night’s comfortable win over Peterborough at Highbury, Steven Pressley named an unchanged squad for the trip to Essex.

Wes Burns started positively for Town and tested keeper Dan Bentley with a thunderous drive which he had to tip behind for a corner.

For the hosts, a dangerous ball into the area was headed goalwards at the back post but Antoni Sarcevic was on hand to clear off the line.

Chris Maxwell then had to be alert as he kept out Adam Thompson’s shot from the edge of the area which is right foot.

The best chance of the half came the Cod Army’s way when Burns’ cross found Grant in the box who saw his header come back off the post.

Neither side really created any clear cut openings for the remainder of the half, with David Worrall and Burns both shooting over from long range.

Stefan Scougall did however have an opportunity before the break when he bust forward from midfield, but his effort was a tame one and Bentley saved.

Grant gave the visitors the lead seven minutes after the interval as his 30 yard rocket beat Bentley and found the top corner for a contender for goal of the season.

The Cod Army had chances to double their advantage through Antoni Sarcevic and Stefan Scougall, but the midfield pair saw opportunities go begging.

Substitute Myles Weston nearly created an immediate impression when he came on, but dragged an effort wide when played in on goal.

The Shrimpers equalised on 70 minutes though when Barrett met a corner in the box and headed past Maxwell from close range.

Grant later missed a great opportunity to net his second of the afternoon, as he fired over the bar from close range.

Payne completed the turnaround for the home side with ten minutes remaining as he shot low into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

However McLaughlin rescued a point for his side late on as he headed in unmarked at the back post. 

Picture courtesy of Camera Sport

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account