Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Fleetwood Town 1-1 Oldham Athletic

16 April 2016

Sponsored by

Stefan Scougall opened the scoring in the second half

Fleetwood Town and Oldham Athletic shared the spoils in an entertaining affair at Highbury Stadium this afternoon.

Stefan Scougall put Town ahead on 67 minutes when he smashed home from close range after some fantastic play by Wes Burns down the right.

Liam Kelly equalised for the Latics with just over ten minutes to play, when his shot went just over the line despite Nathan Pond’s best efforts to keep it out.

Steven Pressley named an unchanged squad for the third game running, with Burns, Scougall and Bobby Grant leading the attack.

Antoni Sarcevic had the game’s first real chance, as he tested visiting keeper Joel Coleman with a low effort from inside the area.

Wes Burns then tested Coleman with a fierce drive from the edge of the box, in which he beat away firmly at the near post.

The Cod Army were restricted to half chances for much of the half, with Bobby Grant firing wide from distance and Stephen Jordan looping over.

For the visitors, attacker Jonathan Forte saw calls for a penalty waved away by the referee after he was fouled in the area.

Sarcevic then had an effort at Coleman once more before the break, but the Latics shot stopper was equal to his strike from 20 yards.

Captain Pond met Grant’s corner at the near post at the start of the second half, but could only flick wide of the target.

Forte later missed a great opportunity for the Latics as the ball arrived to him at the back post, however he directed a header wide from inside the six yard box.

Burns crossed for Grant on the hour mark but he could only head over under pressure from Holmes-Dennis and Anthony Gerrard.

The home supporters were lifting their players, and Eggert Jonsson and Scougall both had good attempts blocked by the visitors.

And the goal did eventually come on 67 minutes when Scougall smashed home from close range after great play by Burns down the right.

Oldham responded with just over ten minutes to play as Kelly’s shot from inside the box went just over the line despite Pond’s best efforts to keep it out.

Both sides battled for a winner in the closing stages but Town had to be content with a point ahead of a trip to Millwall on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account