Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wigan Athletic Youth 0-2 Fleetwood Town Youth

27 September 2015

Mamadou Djabi netted a brace for the Cod Army

Fleetwood Town youth team secured a comfortable 2-0 away win against 10 man Wigan Athletic on Saturday morning.

Mamadou Djabi scored both goals either side of half time to continue his remarkable goal scoring run.

Wigan were forced to play the entire second half a man light, after midfielder Luke Burgess was sent off for a two footed lunge on Fleetwood’s Michael Tetteh.

It was an important win for the young Cod Army, having suffered two straight defeats in the Football League Youth Alliance.

The game was a fairly even contest in the first half, with Fleetwood goalkeeper Elliott Wynne returning to the side after injury and pulling off an excellent save early on to keep out Wigan’s Christopher Merrie.

Wynne was again called into action as he played sweeper-keeper to deny the Latics a free run to goal.

But then the visitors opened the scoring just short of the half hour mark when Jordan Hancox found striker Djabi, who turned inside his defender and poked the ball into the bottom corner to round off a tremendous team move.

Fleetwood went searching for the second goal, but they were given a helping hand when the home side were reduced to 10 men just before the break.

Burgess slid in on Tetteh with his studs showing, and the official brandished a red card to the home player.

The Cod Army’s man advantage began to tell in the second half as they slowly turned the screw.

Hancox was inches away from diverting the ball goalwards after a terrific cross from Djabi.

Hancox was proving quite a threat, and he headed over from a corner while also having a goal bound shot blocked.

However Fleetwood goalkeeper Wynne had to make a smart save to keep the lead intact, before they finally registered the second goal.

Tre Sterling picked the ball up in midfield, and knocked it forward for Djabi to chase who went through one-on-one with ‘keeper Kelland Absalom before coolly tucking the ball in for his eighth goal of the season.

Nathan Rooney’s team played out the rest of the game impressively to seal the three points and a hard earned clean sheet.

Advertisement block