Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Port Vale (H)

26 September 2015

Fleetwood Town 1-2 Port Vale

Two second half goals from Colin Daniel and Sam Foley condemned Fleetwood Town to defeat at Highbury this afternoon.

Bobby Grant netted his first goal in home colours after quarter of an hour, when he beat his man expertly in the box and found the bottom corner.

Vale equalised 10 minutes into the second half when substitute Daniel’s deflected strike from the edge of the box beat keeper Chris Maxwell.

Foley then gave the visitors the advantage from the penalty spot after Victor Nirennold had brought down Anthony Grant.

New signing Richard Wood made his Cod Army debut at centre half, as manager Graham Alexander made three changes to last weekend’s side.

Conor McLaughlin returned from injury, while Nick Haughton and David Ball both also started at the expense of Amari’i Bell and Jamie Proctor.

Uche Ikpeazu had an early opportunity for the visitors but hesitated when played through on goal and the chance passed him by.

The Valiants were creating the better of the openings, and Louis Dodds crashed an effort just wide of Maxwell’s far post from inside the box.

Grant however gave Town the lead just shy of the quarter hour mark, as he bamboozled his man in the area and found the bottom corner with a low finish.

In reply, Byron Moore was proving a threat down the left hand side, while Ryan Innis rose highest to meet a corner but nodded wide.

Some neat play between Ball and Jamille Matt nearly resulted in Town doubling their advantage, only for Alnwick to thwart their one-two in the box.

The home side continued to pressure, and Grant broke away down the right before flashing an inviting ball across the box which just missed the far post.

As the half drew to a close, defender Wood saw a close range finish cleared off the line and David Ball had an effort which rattled the bar.

After the interval, Ball made some space for himself some 20 yards from goal and curled an effort over Alnwick’s goal.

Substitute Daniel brought the Valiants level 10 minutes into the second period as his strike from the edge of the box took a deflection and beat Maxwell.

Vale went awarded a penalty midway through the half when Nirennold brought down Grant in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Foley was tasked with the responsibility from 12 yards, and the former Yeovil Town midfielder calmly slotted home in front of the travelling support.

Haughton then went in search of an equaliser for the Cod Army, testing Alnwick with a thunderous drive from distance.

Substitute Jamie Proctor almost made an immediate impact after coming on, only to see his header clawed away fantastically by Alnwick.

Proctor was again involved when he linked up with Grant in the midfield and struck an effort which went just over the bar.

Moore wasted a good chance to put the game beyond doubt late on, when he spun in the box but blasted high into the Percy Ronson stand.

Town battled for a way back into the game, and had opportunities through Jimmy Ryan and Antoni Sarcevic, but were unable to snatch an equaliser.

Advertisement block