Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Fleetwood Youth 1-4 Shrewsbury Youth

12 September 2015

The young Cod Army fell to their first league defeat

Fleetwood Town’s U18’s slipped to their first defeat of the North West Youth league Alliance season on Saturday morning, following a 4-1 loss at the hands of Shrewsbury Town.

Skipper Andy Smith had initially put the young Codlings ahead in the contest mid-way through the first-half, only for John McAtee to restore parity before the interval.

However, second-half goals from Jordan Wilson, Matthew Jones and Callum Grogan ensured that the maximum points returned to Shropshire.

Nathan Rooney’s side entered the match with an unbeaten league record, and could have taken the lead inside the early exchanges, however, Mamadou Djabi was unable to keep his effort from inside the penalty area on target.

Up the other end, Max Johnstone had to keep out a tame effort, as both sides looked to take a grasp on the game.

Djabi was once again heavily involved for Fleetwood, with the forward collecting a pass, and drilling a low shot just past the far post, as Fleetwood’s youngsters looked to find the opening goal of the game.

Next to try his luck with a shot at goal was Salop youngster Jordan Wilson, who weaved his way beyond Fleetwood’s back-line, but could only see his shot go over the crossbar.

With the two sides on the hunt for the opening goal, soon enough, with half an hour played on the Fylde Coast, Town took the lead, courtesy of Captain Andrew Smith, who reacted first from a corner to glance Fleetwood in-front,
following on from a goal line scramble.

The hosts looked to add to their slender lead, though midfielder Tom Coulson couldn’t get his shot from long-range on target.

With five minutes to play until the break, Shrewsbury found their levelling strike, courtesy of John McAtee’s cool finish, which drew proceedings level.

As the second-half got back underway, Fleetwood found themselves two down ten minutes into play, when a well-worked free-kick fell into the path of the unmarked Callum Grogan, who simply tapped into an empty net.

Fleetwood looked to put pressure upon the Shrews defence, however the visitors remained firm thought out.

As the game was entering its closing stages, Shrewsbury were awarded a penalty kick with 68 minutes played – after Max Johnstone felled the advancing forward.

Matthew Jones stepped up and confidently converted the resulting penalty, which sent Shrews three to the good.

Fleetwood had a late flurry of chances towards the end, with Djabi going close on a couple of occasions, but to no avail.

Shrewsbury confirmed the win with a fourth goal after 80 minutes, as Jordan Wilson connected with a flick on to volley past Johnstone.


Advertisement block