Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Sheffield United (A)

20 October 2015

Sheffield United 3-0 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood Town fell to a 3-0 reverse at the hands of Sheffield United at Bramall Lane this evening.

The Cod Army got off to the worst possible start as Che Adams beat Chris Maxwell at the near post after connecting with a low cross.

Former Ilkeston man Adams made it two midway through the second period with a low driven finish into the far corner.

And Billy Sharp added a third in the 72nd minute with a close range strike from inside the six yard box.

Steven Pressley made only one change to his Town side that beat Burton Albion at the weekend, with Ash Hunter starting in place of Nick Haughton.

Adams opened the scoring for the hosts with a near post finish as he stabbed home a cross from the left hand side.

Pressley’s side responded positively, and Bobby Grant’s free kick was headed on by Hunter but the Blades managed to clear their lines.

A well worked corner between Matt Done and Adams then saw the latter fire wide of the far post from a decent position outside the box.

Grant’s set-pieces were causing problems, and Blades keeper Mark Howard almost gave the visitors a route back into the game but recovered well having initially fumbled the ball.

Adams was United’s biggest threat, and burst forward midway through the half only to be denied bravely by the boot of Richard Wood.

Centre half Neill Collins had an opportunity to extend the lead for Nigel Adkins’ men, but volleyed over Done’s corner from the left.

With only minutes remaining until the break, Billy Sharp intercepted Dionatan Teixieira and played the ball into Adams who shot tamely at Maxwell.

Jamie Proctor was presented with an opportunity inside the box after the interval, but Howard was quick off his line to gather the ball.

Adams netted his second of the evening on 65 minutes as he guided a low driven finish into the bottom corner from Done’s cross.

Pressley introduced David Ball and Jamille Matt for Hunter and Grant shortly after Adams’ second, as he looked to freshen things up in attack.

The game was put beyond doubt on 72 minutes when Sharp added a third from close range after a low cross into the area.

David Ball and Antoni Sarcevic had late chances for the Cod Army but we now move onto the weekend's game at Barnsley.

Advertisement block