Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Scunthorpe United (A)

3 October 2015

Scunthorpe United 1-0 Fleetwood Town

A Paddy Madden goal midway through the second half settled the game as Scunthorpe United beat Fleetwood Town 1-0 at Glanford Park.

Chris Lucketti made five alterations from the side that faced Gillingham last time out.

New loan signing Dionatan Teixeira came in for his debut partnering the returning Richard Wood at centre half.

A fresh strike force also led the line for the Cod Army as Declan McManus partnered David Ball in attack. The final change saw Victor Nirrenold play as a holding midfielder.

Vice-captain Antoni Sarcevic was named on the bench alongside two new faces, defender Joe Davies from Leicester City and teenage goalkeeper Alex Gogic.

Scunthorpe United handed a debut to Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee Tommy Rowe after the completion of his move 24 hours earlier.

In the eighth minute of play, both sets of supporters participated in a round of applause for former Iron man Richard Hawcroft after he tragically passed away earlier this summer.

With a new look formation for Fleetwood Town, playing four across the back and in midfield; the visitors looked more of a solid unit with Jimmy Ryan captaining the side in Nathan Pond and Sarcevic’s absence.

Fleetwood’s first chance fell in the 13th minute courtesy of the in-form Bobby Grant, who has scored in the Club’s last two outings.

The former Iron’s man outmuscled full back Scott Wiseman at the back post after a long cross into the box by Ball. Striking from an acute angle, Luke Daniels, in the Scunthorpe goal, was able to quickly get down to smother the ball.

It was a very quiet atmosphere inside Glanford Park as both teams struggled to create any real cut goal scoring opportunities.

In the 26th minute, Mark Robins’ Scunthorpe went close as Gary McSheffrey’s free-kick from the left channel was headed over the bar by skipper Jack King.

A few minutes later, Scunny again knocked on Fleetwood’s door with another header from a set piece, this time experienced campaigner Neal Bishop heading wide from a corner kick.

Scunthorpe were starting to dictate the game with numerous crosses coming into the Town box from the left channel but the Cod Army backline stood stern as the first half finished 0-0.

McManus, fresh after his two goals against Southport on Wednesday in the Lancashire Cup, span the Scunthorpe defence five minutes into the second half, forcing Daniels to fingertip the ball over.

The Scottish U21 international had another sniff at goal shortly after. Striker partner Ball picked out McManus’ run off King’s shoulder, goal side of his man, McManus tried to loop the ball over Daniels but the keeper was switched on to his idea.

Lucketti made his first change as interim manager of the Club in the 61st minute as Jamille Matt and Nick Haughton came on for McManus and Ball.

Within two minutes of the changes, Scunthorpe United went ahead as Madden fired home at the front post after Town failed to deal with a low cross into the penalty box.

The final Town change came with just over 15 minutes to go as Sarcevic replaced young Jack Sowerby.

Town saved their best chance until stoppage time as Matt headed over after tricky wing work by Amari'i Bell. Next up for Fleetwood Town is a JPT clash on home soil against Shrewsbury Town.

Picture courtesy of Camera Sport

Advertisement block