Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Coventry City (H)

10 October 2015

Fleetwood Town 0-1 Coventry City

A Richard Wood own goal in stoppage time sealed a 1-0 win for Coventry City in Steven Pressley’s first match in charge of Fleetwood Town.

Town were unlucky to walk away with nothing after having a hatful of chances but it was the Sky Blues that were victorious on the day.

Manager Pressley named Ash Hunter in the Fleetwood Town starting line-up after the youngster impressed off the bench against Shrewsbury Town last Tuesday night.

Joe Davis came in for his full debut at right back for Fleetwood following his loan move from Leicester City last weekend.

Nick Haughton, who was alongside Hunter in behind Jamie Proctor, linked up with the number nine to pick up a knock down from the striker but his effort glared past the post.

Town, playing a Christmas tree formation, continued their assault on the Sky Blues goal and in the sixth minute Jimmy Ryan unleashed a ferocious effort on goal which went only a few inches over.

Ten minutes in and the inform Coventry had their first chance to dampen their former manager’s first match in charge of the Cod Army.

John Fleck, a former Blackpool loanee, let fly from all of 25-yards but Town’s number one Chris Maxwell stayed calm and collected to make the save.

Closing in on the half hour mark, Coventry came within a whisker of taking the lead. Sam Ricketts found the better of Amari’i Bell on the right.

The former Welsh international whipped a delightful cross to the back post for Jacob Murphy but the combination of Maxwell’s save and Dionatan Teixeira’s clearance denied the Sky Blues midfielder.

Two minutes later, Coventry dispossessed Antoni Sarcevic in the middle of the park allowing Jim O’Brien to drive forward to send a right footed drive wide of the left hand post.

Heading into the second period, Town began brightly as Hunter turned away from the Coventry defence to hit an effort from the edge of the penalty area forcing Reice Charles-Cook to scoop the ball round the post.

Five minutes into the second half, Victor Nirennold was forced off through injury, Eggert Jonsson coming on in his place in midfield.

The goal the Memorial Stand was dreaming of nearly became a reality in the 52nd minute as Hunter hit the outside of the post.

Initially, Sarcevic used his power to hold off two Coventry tackles before his effort was blocked. Picking up the loose ball, Town’s number 18 dinked the ball to the back post as Hunter rattled Charles-Cook’s post.

Looking for a more attacking threat, Bobby Grant was introduced as Fleetwood’s second sub just before the hour mark, Nick Haughton the man replaced.

Whilst Town were showing promising signs moving forward, Coventry’s O’Brien was still making sure Maxwell had a job to do at the other end, forcing the keeper into two good saves in consecutive minutes.

Lone front man Proctor was putting in a tireless shift in attacking midfield for Pressley’s men. His hard work nearly paid dividends midway through the second half as he comfortably shrugged off Sam Ricketts before going on a fine individual run only for Charles-Cook to beat the ball away.

David Ball came on for Town as Pressley played his final sub card replacing Hunter. The former Peterborough United man had a snap shot in the 79th minute from point blank range, Charles-Cook with the important stop.

Seconds later, Proctor directed a header over the cross bar as the game looked to be heading to a scoreless draw.

The Sky Blues joined Fleetwood by hitting the post in the second half as Murphy stinging effort beat Maxwell but Town were let off the hook.

In the cruellest of ways, Coventry found the winning goal in stoppage time as sub George Thomas’ strike was pushed away by Maxwell but cannoned back off Wood to hit the back of the net.

Fleetwood Town will be next in action next weekend at home to Burton Albion.

Advertisement block