Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Barnsley (A)

24 October 2015

Barnsley 0-1 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood Town claimed their second win under manager Steven Pressley with a hard fought 1-0 victory at Barnsley.

Jamie Proctor scored the game's only goal on 29 minutes with a cool finish into the bottom corner after a surging run from midfield.

It is Fleetwood's second win in a week and their second win at Oakwell in 2015, following their 2-1 triumph at the home of the Tykes in February 2015.

Steven Pressley made one change to his side from the team that lost at Sheffield United in midweek, with David Ball replacing Ash Hunter in attack.

Town started brightly and Ball forced keeper Townsend into a low save at his near post after a decent effort from the left.

Opportunities continued to come the visitors’ way, with Bobby Grant and Antoni Sarcevic both delivering inviting crosses into the box.

Proctor went close on 10 minutes when Jimmy Ryan’s well worked corner went just over the striker’s head at the back post.

The Tykes’ first attempt came through Dan Crowley, who worked space well for himself on the edge of the area but curled an effort over.

Josh Scowen later tested Chris Maxwell from distance, but the Welsh shot stopper dealt with the midfielder’s strike comfortably.

Proctor put the Cod Army ahead just shy of the half hour mark when he picked the ball up in midfield and drove at the defence before beating Townsend with a cool finish.

The home side were only really threatening from long range, with new loan signing Lloyd Isgrove and Scowen trying their luck.

Maxwell had to be alert to keep out Tykes captain Alfie Mawson’s speculative free kick before the break, as he palmed his strike away.

Grant was inches away from extending Town’s lead at the start of the second period, as his strike from 30 yards was expertly tipped wide by Townsend.

Michael Smith rose well in the box on the hour mark to direct a header goalwards, but Maxwell got down well at his near post to save.

At the other end, Richard Wood’s header from Grant’s corner was blocked on the line as the Cod Army went in search of a second goal.

The Tykes however were asking questions of the visiting defence, as Sam Winnall’s effort from the edge of the box was cleared.

Fleetwood Town will be next in action on Saturday 31st October as Chesterfield visit Highbury Stadium.

Advertisement block