Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s: Accrington Stanley 2-1 Fleetwood Town

17 November 2015

Webb double sees Town knocked out of FA Youth Cup

Fleetwood Town’s youth team bowed out of the FA Youth Cup on Tuesday night, losing 2-1 at Accrington Stanley despite dominating the game on a sodden evening in East Lancashire.

Louis Myers had glanced the visitors ahead after four minutes – but a brace for Nathan Webb condemned Town to a second round exit, with Stanley now going on to face Crystal Palace.

Fleetwood took the lead with the game just four minutes old, when Myers met Jordan Hancox’s cross to divert a header beyond Jack Little.

The young Codlings were enjoying the better of the play, in the opening exchanges, on a rain-soaked evening in East Lancashire.

Accrington’s first opening came shortly afterwards, though goalkeeper Elliot Wynne was on hand to keep Stuart Callaway’s 20-yard drive out.

Myers had a glorious chance to add his second of the tie, but the forward could only shoot over the crossbar from close range – after Little had palmed the ball back into his path.

Ross Sykes then missed an equally good chance to level up the scores for Stanley, however, after sliding in at the back post, he turned his effort over the bar.

Full-back Lewis Baines was next to try his luck for Nathan Rooney’s side, bursting through on goal from Mamadou Djabi’s smart pass, with Little denying him well with a sprawling save.

The hosts restored parity after 34 minutes, courtesy of Webb, who flicked a header beyond Wynne, after a long free-kick had been punted into the penalty area.

Fleetwood’s next chance in the game came minutes later, as Town hit their opponents on the break, a run which resulted in Djabi’s surging run into the box and shot, valiantly denied by Little.

On the stroke of half-time, Stanley gained the advantage in the local derby, as Nathan Webb notched his brace, tapping home from a corner-kick.

As play resumed for the second half, Rooney switched things up, bringing on Tyrell McKenzie on in place of Djabi.

The side from the Fylde Coast started well after the interval, and six minutes in, Michael Tetteh was only denied by the fingertips of Little.

Wynne was the next of either keeper to be tested, getting down well in order to comfortably save a fizzing effort captain Roman Hickey, which zipped off the wet turf.

Up the other end, Fleetwood were putting large amounts of pressure upon the Stanley back-line, substitute McKenzie skipped beyond his marker, before seeing his shot beaten away, as the clock ticked beyond the hour.

Myers could have considered himself unfortunate not to level up proceedings, with his looping header causing Little to initially flap at the ball.

Town were throwing everything at Stanley’s defence, in what was now torrential rain, as McKenzie went close again, after doing the hard work and skimming three players – he blazed over the bar into the terrace, from a tight angle.

Fleetwood continued to dominate the match but Stanley held out for the win.

Advertisement block