Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Hartlepool United Youth 0-2 Fleetwood Town Youth

3 November 2015

Mamadou Djabi scored both of Town's goals

Fleetwood Town’s youth side secured their passage into the second round of the FA Youth Cup as they beat Hartlepool United at Victoria Park this evening.

Mamadou Djabi put the Cod Army ahead after the interval as he converted from the penalty spot after Jordan Hancox was tumbled.

Soon after, Pools captain Jack Turnbull was given his marching orders after brining Djabi down when he was the last man.

Djabi ensured their passage into the next round with 20 minutes to play, when he headed Michael Tetteh’s cross past James Dawson.

Town started the game well and caused a threat down the right flank through Liam Wood, as he got in behind the defence.

In response, Jack Blackford had an attempt from distance which was saved low down by visiting shot stopper Elliot Wynne.

The Cod Army had the game’s first real meaningful opportunity, when Tetteh headed Wood’s cross just wide of the near post on the quarter hour mark.

Chances continued to be created by Nathan Rooney’s side, and Lewis Shorrock was the next to have a goas he shot wide from the edge of the area.

Wynne later did well to keep Dylan Elliot’s long range shot out as it had taken a wicked deflection off Ethan Wood’s boot.

And the keeper was called into action once again just before the break as he kept out Aaron Cunningham’s effort at the near post.

Town were awarded a penalty only moments into the second half, when Hancox was brought down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Djabi stepped up confidently from 12 yards and fired straight down the middle to beat Pools keeper James Dawson.

Turnbull was shown a straight red card eight minutes later when he brought down Djabi as he raced away on goal.

Rooney’s side were making their man advantage count and were dominating play, with Coulson and Djabi both going close.

Djabi put the game beyond doubt in the 70th minute when he connected with Tetteh’s fantastic cross to head home at the back post.

The Cod Army had the ball in the net again late on, but substitute Louis Myers’ effort was ruled out for offside by the linesman.

Advertisement block