Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Swindon Town (H)

21 November 2015

Report: Fleetwood Town 5-1 Swindon Town

Fleetwood Town produced an attacking display of the highest order this afternoon as they put five goals past Swindon at Highbury Stadium.

The Cod Army took the lead on 34 minutes when David Henen’s low cross from the byline was sliced into his own net by Adam El-Abd.

Antoni Sarcevic made it two soon after the interval as he slotted home a penalty after David Ball was brought down in the box.

Henen made it three on the hour with a placed finish into the bottom corner after a defence splitting through ball from Sarcevic.

Tariqe Fosu, who was making his first home appearance for the Club, extended the scoreline with 20 minutes to play when his shot rolled past Vigouroux.

Nicky Ajose netted a consolation for the visitors as he converted a cross from the right beyond Chris Maxwell inside the area.

Town weren’t finished there though, and substitute Bobby Grant put the icing on the cake with a spectacular long range effort into the top corner on 83 minutes.

Steven Pressley made three changes to his side, with Conor McLaughlin, Fosu and Ball all named in the Scotsman’s line-up.

Henen looked lively up-top for Town during the opening exchanges, and latched onto Eggert Jonsson’s through ball before forcing Lawrence Vigouroux into a save.

Ajose then had a good opportunity to put the visitors in front when he got in behind the defence, but Maxwell saved smartly with his feet.

Fosu, a bright spark throughout, later crossed for Ball who shot just wide at the front post after a good move down the right.

McLaughlin came to his side’s rescue on the quarter hour mark as he bravely blocked Brandon Ottewill’s effort on the line.

Chances were being created at both ends, and Ball went close when he burst into the box but struck wide of Vigouroux’s far post.

The deadlock was broken when Henen drove down the right before his cross was turned into his own net by Robins defender El-Abd.

Town quickly looked to double the advantage through Sarcevic, but his low strike from the edge of the area whistled just wide.

Fosu’s dangerous free kick at the start of the second half was kept out well by Vigouroux as he palmed his effort past the post.

The lead was doubled though 10 minutes after the break when Sarcevic coolly converted a penalty after Ball was brought down in the area.

Henen added a third just after the hour with a fantastic low finish into the bottom corner after being played in on goal by Sarcevic.

Fosu then got his just rewards as he netted a deserved fourth on 70 minutes as his shot from inside the box rolled past Vigouroux.

The Robins pulled a goal back through Ajose, as a cross from the right was converted beyond Maxwell by the striker.

Substitute Grant rounded things off with a sublime long range effort from 20 yards which flew into the top corner as Town ran out comfortable winners.

Advertisement block