Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season review: August

13 May 2015

Sponsored by

The month of August was a fruitful one for the Cod Army

Saturday 9th August 2014 will be forever remembered by all involved at Fleetwood Town, as the Club won their first ever game in League One, beating Crewe Alexandra 2-1 on a sun-kissed day at Highbury Stadium.

Having previously overcome Burton Albion by a solitary goal at Wembley in the Play-Off final, Fleetwood Town were about to take their first footsteps into the third-tier, joining the likes of Preston North End and Sheffield United.

It took Town 47 minutes to net their first goal in League One, with David Ball scoring the historic opener before Jamie Proctor doubled the advantage shortly after.

Brad Inman pulled one back for the Railwaymen in the 90th minute from the spot, with Chris Maxwell also saving Matt Tootle’s penalty kick for the Gresty Road outfit earlier in the game.

Fleetwood hung on for three points that day, and it would be the start of a memorable first month following promotion.

A few days later, Graham Alexander’s men were knocked out of the League Cup away at Championship outfit Rotherham United, with experienced forward Matt Derbyshire breaking Cod Army hearts in the 109th minute of extra time
at the New York Stadium.

The following Saturday, Fleetwood returned to winning ways by picking up a second league win of the season.

Jamie Proctor’s solitary header earned Town their opening three points on the road away at Notts County, which made it six points from a possible six.

Fleetwood would go onto make it three wins on the spin when they defeated Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park, a side who also gained promotion from League Two that year.

Goals in the final 20 minutes of the game from Proctor and Gareth Evans secured a 2-0 win against the Iron.

After two league games away from their Highbury Stadium, Fleetwood were back on familiar territory when Chesterfield were the opponents.

Town shared the spoils with Paul Cook’s men that day, as they held the Derbyshire side to a 0-0 stalemate.

The month came to an end with Town keeping up their unbeaten run after a 1-1 draw with Leyton Orient at Highbury.

On-loan striker Stephen Dobbie salvaged a point for the Cod Army late on following Darius Henderson’s opener for Orient in the first-half.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account