Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: April

21 May 2015

Positive easter yet again for the Cod Army

The penultimate month of Fleetwood’s inaugural season in League One saw them notch two wins in the Easter period.

Gareth Evans’ 18th minute solitary goal was enough to beat Gillingham in Kent, before Town turned on the style on Easter Monday with a 4-0 home win over Yeovil.

The Cod Army opened the scoring with seven minutes on the clock courtesy of David Ball, who coolly fired home from close range.

The Highbury faithful wouldn’t have to wait long for Town’s second goal when Ball netted his second of the afternoon. 

He unleashed a right-footed effort from distance which flew into the bottom corner and past the despairing dive of
Artur Krysiak.

Proctor added a third on 33 minutes as he confidently slotted home before Ash Hunter completed the rout late on.

Fleetwood travelled to Walsall for their next game, but Tom Bradshaw broke Town hearts as he converted an 86th minute winner on his return from injury.

It was back to Highbury three days later for the visit of MK Dons, and after a goalless first-half on the Fylde Coast, Lewis Baker completed a fine team move by opening the scoring ten minutes into the second period.

Will Grigg capitalised on Stevie Jordan’s slip to confidently shoot low past Maxwell to add a second goal for MK on 74 minutes.

Two minutes later, Dele Alli made it three with a stunning half volley from 20-yards which found the top corner of the net.

A 0-0 draw was next served up for Town away at Doncaster Rovers the following Saturday, with chances few and far between for both sides at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Fleetwood ended their home campaign with a 3-2 defeat at home to Colchester United, in what was the penultimate league game of the season.

Midfielder George Moncur gave the U’s the lead with a low finish from 12 yards two minutes after half time, but his effort was cancelled out by Proctor’s improvised finish from close-range.

Advertisement block