Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Youth team let two goal lead slip against Wrexham

7 March 2015

Young Cod Army were left frustarted at the final whistle

Fleetwood Town’s youth team slipped to a narrow 3-2 defeat at home to Wrexham in the Youth Alliance League on Saturday morning.

The Young Cod Army were two goals to the good at half time courtesy of Daniel Mooney’s free kick, and a Louis Myers penalty.

However, a second half brace from Dan Reynolds, along with Adam Davies’ strike, gave Wrexham all three points at Lytham.

Max Johnstone kept his place in goal, while the likes of Liam Wood and Myers also started for Craig Madden’s young side.

It would be Wrexham who had the first chance of the game, with Ewan Cartwright feeding the ball to Joe Williams, but the latter saw his shot saved by the sprawling legs of Johnstone.

Johnstone then kept out Reynolds’ drilled effort following some good build up play from the visitors.

The hosts would find the goal which they had craved after 32 minutes, as Mooney drilled his free kick low and hard into the bottom corner.

Fleetwood were handed the chance to extend their advantage when striker McKenzie was hacked down in the box when thorough on goal.

Myers resumed penalty taking responsibilities, and confidently dispatched his left footed spot kick into the far corner to double Fleetwood’s lead on 41 minutes.

Wrexham found a lifeline after 48 minutes, with Reynolds thumping the ball into the top corner from close range after some neat build up play.

Fleetwood were pegged back to 2-2 almost immediately after, with Davies profiting from Johnstone’s spill to dink the ball over the keeper.

Having surrendered their two goal advantage, Fleetwood would then have a couple of chances to re-take the lead, but having been played through by Wood, McKenzie shot into the side-netting.

Town were frustrated on a number of occasions by the Wrexham defence when going forward, as the game passed the hour mark.

And previous chances which had gone against Fleetwood would suddenly prove costly for them shortly after as Wrexham turned the game completely on its head.

Reynolds connected with a floating cross from the wing to rise above his marker and glance beyond Johnstone to complete the turnaround.

Fleetwood were unable to net an equaliser, and Madden’s men were left frustrated.

Advertisement block